Unspecified failure error on Logix 5000

shandyman

Hi all im using Logix 5000 Pro V.31.01 fully licensed that i have just migrated onto my laptop from a virtual server on the same machine.
Now i seem to have a problem i cant find the solution to which is it wont allow me to do online edits.
If i attempt to do an online edit and accept rung changes the software lags a few seconds and returns a message box stating 'there was an unspecified failure' in the error messages and a pop up box stating 'Program "whatever programme im working on" does not have Test edits'.
My Edit dropdown tab also shows no edits active.
This even occurs if i make no changes whatsoever to the rung and check the programme for errors before trying to accept pending edits (even without me making one).
It allows me to edit some parameters in certain function blocks that dont require me to access rung edit status.
The controller is a 1756 L81ES Guardlogix with firmware 31.011.
As i mentioned earlier i could online edit the programme fine before switching my Logix from the virtual server. And yes the controller is def switched to remote not run and im def fully licensed!
Has anybody come across this before?

FYI, since v21, the software has been renamed Studio 5000, specifically, RSLogix5000 was renamed to LogixDesigner.

Start Studio 5000, select "From Upload", let it create a new ACD file. While it asks you to point to an existing ACD file, if it doesn't find one, it will create a new one.

Thanks for quick reply and correction, im just in plant at present on another machine but will jump straight back onto the other one when i get a moment and let you know how it goes.
Really appreciate your advice, many thanks!
(mantras to himself repeatedly>>>>>never use the term logix5000, never use the term logix5000......)

Ive let it create a new ACD file and i still have the same problem and errors popping up when trying to complete an online edit, as i say even if i dont actually make any changes to the active rung!

Darn, my suggestion was a "solution" from the knowledge base, it sounded like a sure fire. Long shot, but it also mentions disabling "Removable Storage Service" from Symantec SEE. Whatever that is. KB BF15639 (TechConnect)

Check on your PC what the "Specify Factorytalk Directory Location" application reports your current directory to be. Then, can you try going to the security tab of the controller properties, and see if security is enabled? compare that security authority with the directory specified earlier.

Are you at a plant? You might have a plantwide security setup, might need to get with a Factorytalk admin to configure your device.

Thanks for the above replies I'll try them when I'm back in plant. James just to clarify I say migrate I think that made it more complex than what it really was. I had a license copy of Studio 5000 on a virtual server which I rehosted through the activation centre. I then installed the version I needed at preset which was version 31 and used my company validation license to confirm the new installation. So you could in effect class it as a new install. It was initially for thre first hour in the grace mode whilst I sorted the correct serial number from my it guys and then fully activated it. I would have thought if there were any ghosts files playing with the validation it wouldn't allow me to even make a rung live to edit in the first place.

If your VM is using Windows 10, I recommend updating to v33 of Studio if possible. It is the only version I have found to work flawlessly in 10. I understand that sometimes upgrades are not possible.

einnh I have come off the VM now and initially installed V33 on my laptop but as the software was written on V31 it doesnt support the programme.
I have put this issue to my vastly experienced colleagues but they havent seen this error before either!

If your VM is using Windows 10, I recommend updating to v33 of Studio if possible. It is the only version I have found to work flawlessly in 10. I understand that sometimes upgrades are not possible.

No recurring problems with running any programs RSLogix5k 13-20 and LogixDesignerV21-33 on windows 10. Development was limited to V20+

Just need to install in the right order with the right windows update.

No recurring problems with running any programs RSLogix5k 13-20 and LogixDesignerV21-33 on windows 10. Development was limited to V20+

Just need to install in the right order with the right windows update.

Up until v33 I would have graphical glitches with scaling (most of our dev machines are 1440p now) and other 'unkown faults' popup in Studio on Windows 10 VMs.

PreLC with regards to your comment earlier, firstly thankyou for taking the time to reply, secondly do you think i would have this problem with a new install when i was happily editing yesterday on the old and as its a new canning plant in Turkey just setting up we are not running by line control yet!

PreLC with regards to your comment earlier, firstly thankyou for taking the time to reply, secondly do you think i would have this problem with a new install when i was happily editing yesterday on the old and as its a new canning plant in Turkey just setting up we are not running by line control yet!

Oh no, I'm not implying that the install was a failure mode for you. Should have marked that off topic.

Last edited:
Apologies PreLC reading my reply back, im missing punctuation, it was a question, not a statement. I was simply asking why would i come across problems with plant systems after an install when id been happily working on the live programme before? Apologies if it came across as abrupt, it definitely wasnt meant with that intonation!