FactoryTalk Linx Server cannot Connect to localhost

Jieve

Hi all,

I am new to Rockwell in general, hoping someone can help before I call Rockwell support.

I have functioning Controllogix program running in the plc, created a display in FactoryTalk View SE Enterprise, and am trying to connect display tags to the PLC. FactoryTalk Linx current recognizes all controls components (under Ethernet, Ethernet; they were added manually) and I can go online with it in Studio 5000 no problem.

Post-install of FactoryTalk View I right-clicked on "Specify the FactoryTalk Directory Location", and set it to localhost. FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard was also carried out (This is a local station project). I right-click on the FTV root and add the FactoryTalk Linx Server, which is located on the same PC as the FactoryTalk View (aka localhost). However, whenever I check the "server status" I get server: localhost, status: failed. I also cannot open the "Communication Setup". It complains that it cannot connect to localhost.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Hi,
I suspect you have FTL misconfigured, but I'm not going to assume.

Could you post an image of your comms setup, your PLC comms you're trying to connect to, and an image of the error message you're getting?

Pictures are more valuable than words when troubleshooting these kinds of issues.

Thanks for the responses.

Attached are the FTLinx config and the errors I'm getting.

FactoryTalk Services is the latest version 6.2, just downloaded it a little over a week ago.

Thanks

FT Linx.jpg Studio Error.jpg Server Status.jpg

Thanks for the responses.

Attached are the FTLinx config and the errors I'm getting.

FactoryTalk Services is the latest version 6.2, just downloaded it a little over a week ago.

Thanks

What happens if you change localhost to LAPTOP?

The only way to change this to laptop is to select "remote computer" in "Specify FactoryTalk Directory Location", and when doing that, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

First I select "remote computer" and enter in "LAPTOP" (although LAPTOP is the localhost), then I change this in the "FactoryTalk Directory Configuration" as well. FactoryTalk View Studio still tries to search for localhost either way. I cannot change this, the selection is greyed out when I try to add a server (which makes sense, since it is a local station project).

I've tried recreating the server in the FactoryTalk Administration Console and the Project in Studio SE. Everytime I get the same message, cannot connect to localhost.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling factorytalk view services and linx with no success. Same story.

In the diagnostics viewer I get "Failed to connect to browse service for OPC Server, result 80000003"

Then "Loss of Service. The Server RNA://$Local/Project on Computer LAPTOP is unhealthy"

Then "Out of Service. The Server RNA://$Local/Project is not available on any computer"

Then "Failed to connect to browse service for OPC server //$Local/Project result=80004005"

Thanks for the continued attempts to help.

Well, tried all the suggestions here with no luck.

Was on tech support line with Rockwell for 3hrs, and next step was to completely manually uninstall FactoryTalk View SE.

Fortunately, I was having a problem with Kepware as well, the solution to which fixed the FactoryTalk View SE connection problem.

There ended up being some malfunctioning opc .dlls that needed to be re-registered.

At the command line, after re-directing to WINDOWS\SysWOW64, I entered:

regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 opcproxy.dll
regsvr32 opccomn_ps.dll

After reboot the server in FTV SE became active.

Rockwell has added this to their internal tech note.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Was on tech support line with Rockwell for 3hrs ...
Thanks everyone for the help.

Way to hang in there.

Thanks for the feedback.

Is it me or is this malark-
ey becoming more like magic,
a la Arthur C Clarke,
instead of less,
and the fix boils down
to stubborn-ness?

I having the same issue.

So need to rein install all the factory talk SE and after that
at cmd need to enter this following and reboot?

regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 opcproxy.dll
regsvr32 opccomn_ps.dll

Please help on brief step by step ?
In need of much help..
Thank you in advance __/\__

It's been a while since I did this, but went and checked my notes on it; looks like I saved the updated solution from the rockwell knowledge base. Can't guarantee it will solve your problem, but here's what I have:

Problem:
Local clients using OPC Classic fail to connect to the server and may report an error like 0x8007041D. This error code means that the service did not respond to the start or control request within time.

Solution:
COM requires the use of libraries that are part of Microsoft's Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) technology. If these libraries have been unregistered by another application, local clients will cease to connect. For information on registering the libraries, refer to the instructions below.

Launch the Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
Change the directory to C:\WINDOWS\System32 or C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 on a 64-bit operating system.
Enter the following commands one line at a time:
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 opcproxy.dll
regsvr32 opccomn_ps.dll

Note: Not all commands will report success.
Reboot the computer.