Data Connection between GEFanuc 90-30 and Mitsubishi FX Series

Bilbo1161

Is there any way to make a connection directly between a GE Fanuc 90-30 and a Mitsubishi FX Series PLC?

If there is no means to connect directly, what is the best option as a gateway between the 2?
I don't really want to have to use Wonderware as a means of control and would prefer a hardware solution.

FX3 support's Modbus with some additional programming or with additional expansion card, whatever you prefer. If I recall 90-30 supports also Modbus.

How much data needs to be transferred and in which direction?

On the 90-30 side a lot depends on what CPU model you have. There are a couple of CPUs that can only communicate using GE's SNP protocol. There are models that can also be a Modbus RTU slave and some that can also be a Modbus RTU master. The models that support ethernet also support Modbus TCP. Furthermore there is a Basic language module available so you can write your own serial port driver.

If you need to pass data in both directions it might be easier to use a gateway device like the Red Lion and let it control the communications, reading from the GE and writing to the Mitsubishi and reading from the Mitsubishi and writing to the GE.

The FX 3 using 232 485 expansion module can do non protocol you can just send/receive 16 bit data words either way quite easy, just need to get the GE to do the same.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Plenty to dig into.
The 90-30 I believe is a 374, but will check when in work tomorrow. It is already using EGD between this and another 90-30.
I would need it to be comms over Ethernet, not via serial data, as the PLCs are quite a distance apart.
Not a vast amount of data, really just a few pump states etc, to allow control of equipment further down the line.
Data both ways would be ideal.

Using the datastation (or many of the cheap HMI's that allow dual protocol) you can use the programming port or the BD adapter or the ENET card for Ethernet, if the interface is local to the FX3 then the programming port could be used, if further away then the ENET card using the programming protocol. Just be aware that the programming port of the FX3 defaults to 9600 on power up & I don't think you can configure it to any other baud rate, Mitsubishi (and some HMI's) are capable of forcing the FX3 to change it's baud rate, found this out using an ethernet to 422 converter & kepware, it appears that only some HMI's & the Mitsubishi IDE is capable of forcing the FX programming port to other Baud rates. I came across this problem I configured the converter to talk at 115kb & it was fine until the PLC was powered down & back up, the only way to get it back was to use GXDeveloper or GXWorks to talk to the PLC then after that it was fine. Spoke to kepware & they were aware that the PLC defaulted to 9600 on power up, they were looking into finding out how the Mitsubishi IDE was able to force the FX to a different rate, but that was a few years ago.

Using the datastation (or many of the cheap HMI's that allow dual protocol) you can use the programming port or the BD adapter or the ENET card for Ethernet, if the interface is local to the FX3 then the programming port could be used, if further away then the ENET card using the programming protocol. Just be aware that the programming port of the FX3 defaults to 9600 on power up & I don't think you can configure it to any other baud rate, Mitsubishi (and some HMI's) are capable of forcing the FX3 to change it's baud rate, found this out using an ethernet to 422 converter & kepware, it appears that only some HMI's & the Mitsubishi IDE is capable of forcing the FX programming port to other Baud rates. I came across this problem I configured the converter to talk at 115kb & it was fine until the PLC was powered down & back up, the only way to get it back was to use GXDeveloper or GXWorks to talk to the PLC then after that it was fine. Spoke to kepware & they were aware that the PLC defaulted to 9600 on power up, they were looking into finding out how the Mitsubishi IDE was able to force the FX to a different rate, but that was a few years ago.

Thanks Parky, that's very handy to know.
I'll hopefully connect via Ethernet.
A question on this though.
I currently have a network connection open on the mitsubishi that Wonderware connects to, via Topserver. Do I have to add any other lines into the network config on the mitsubishi to allow the DS+ to connect, or just point the driver to that IP and then define the tags or protocol conversion within the DS+

Last edited:
What card is it, is it the Add on card on the left of the processor (ADP) or is it a larger type on the right, it may make a difference, I have never used the ADP module only the ENET one.
To be honest I have only ever had one connection but providing you use the same protocol (Assume Melsoft) then it should be ok, the initial setting usually puts in about 4 connections & there are very few other settings. However, if it uses one of the other type of connections you may have to create a new one and set the host port number. Again it will depend on what type of add on card you have. also it will depend on the interface i.e. data station what protocol does it use Melsoft or MC Protocol. Sorry I cannot be of more help, I have had a Q series communicate to a Scada & another OPC system (one on TCP & the other on UDP) without setting a UDP connection no idea why it worked but it did.

It can be done with ENET (larger module on right side) and it can't be done with ADP (mounted on left).

Goghie: Why can you not connect using the ADP, I do know of a system that uses MC Protocol as well as Melsoft connection both are supported, however, I have no idea about the protocol for the Data Station. Although I have never done it, I have seen a system that used it (FX2N plus ADP) it was capable of going on-line with GX & an HMI.

This is from the manual, however, as I say I have never used the ADP card only the E-Net,
1) TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
This protocol guarantees data credibility and reliability in communication between a personal computer/
work station and PLC that are connected via network, and provides the following functions:
- Creates a logical connection by establishing a connection (logical line) as if a dedicated line was
created between external devices.
- Up to 4 connections can be established and used at the same time in the Ethernet adapter.
- Data reliability is maintained by sequence control using the sequence numbers, the data
retransmission function and check sum.
- Communication data flow can be controlled by Windows operations.
2) UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
This protocol may not guarantee data credibility or reliability in communication between a personal
computer/work station and PLC that are connected via network. Thus, even if the data does not reach the
target node, it will not be retransmitted.
- Because it is connectionless, communication efficiency is much improved than TCP/IP.
- A check sum is used to increase the reliability of the communication data.
When greater reliability must be maintained, a user application or TCP should be used for the retrying
operation.
3) IP (Internet Protocol)
- Communication data is sent and received in datagram format.
- Communication data can be divided and reassembled.
- Routing option is not supported.
4) ARP (Address Resolution Protocol)
- This protocol is used to get the Ethernet physical addresses from the IP addresses.
5) ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol)
- This protocol is used to exchange errors which occur on an IP network and various information related
to the network.
- Provides a function to transmit IP error messages.
- Refer to Appendix E-6 for information regarding the types of ICMP supported

Parky:
My presumption was that Modbus TCP/IP will be used. ENET-ADP can be used with MC and Melsoft, with ENET there are much more capabilities.

I think that's the idea with the datastation using a dual protocol passthrough I'm assuming that the Data station is capable of MC protocol or Melsoft.

It will definitely be using the ENET module.
I haven’t got chance to check the Ethernet config in the Mitsubishi yet, but will look next week. It may be a while before I can try the data station though as waiting for corporate approval to use it on our network.
Thanks for your help so far. I’ll report back as soon as I get chance to try it.