Plc 5/05

memememememe

We are at a loss. Think it may be a short circuit but unsure. need ideas.

background info:
Software doesnt see left machine move because a wire is not connected, which results in a 1746 output one-time blinking channel 2 open (for open circuit). The right machine works in manual mode and software. The left machine does not work in the software and will work for a short period of time in manual.

Issue:
machine just stops working until a sew movitrac has reset done and run pressed again. The movitrac will say F-04 and channel five light on a 1746-IN16 goes off.

The PLC programs has not changed in years nor the software.

Question:
What could be causing the 1746-IN16 channel five to be turned off? COuld the movitrac fauling F-04 be causing the IN16 channel five off or is the IN16 channel five faulting, which in turn is causing the movitrac to F-04?

We tried reading manuals on a possible cause but reached an impasse.

Wat?

My head hurts from reading that. Maybe take a little more time and explain your problem without the word “software”.

sounds like (99% sure) that you're working with an SLC-5/05 processor ....

your best way to get help with this is to upload/save the ENTIRE processor file (RSS extension) from the processor - then ZIP that file and attach it to this thread ... (zipping the file is a forum rule) ....

NOTE: if you insist on placing the file in a dropbox, etc. on the cloud - there are some of us older geeks who won't look at it for security reasons ...

note that when you upload from the processor - you won't get any documentation (comments, etc.) unless you have the original RSS file (with documentation included) present on your laptop ... are you familiar with how all of that stuff fits together? ...

and welcome to the forum ... we'll be glad to help - but right now we know almost ZERO about your system and how it's programmed ... not too much we can do about your problem that way ...

Last edited:
We are at a loss. Think it may be a short circuit but unsure. need ideas.

background info:
Software doesnt see left machine move because a wire is not connected, which results in a 1746 output one-time blinking channel 2 open (for open circuit). The right machine works in manual mode and software. The left machine does not work in the software and will work for a short period of time in manual.

Issue:
machine just stops working until a sew movitrac has reset done and run pressed again. The movitrac will say F-04 and channel five light on a 1746-IN16 goes off.

The PLC programs has not changed in years nor the software.

Question:
What could be causing the 1746-IN16 channel five to be turned off? COuld the movitrac fauling F-04 be causing the IN16 channel five off or is the IN16 channel five faulting, which in turn is causing the movitrac to F-04?

We tried reading manuals on a possible cause but reached an impasse.

According to this website: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1391335/Sew-Eurodrive-Movitrac-Ltp-B.html?page=44

Fault code 04 indicates a brake overload. My best guess is that Input 5 detects fault status for the movitrac.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

SLC-500 programmable controllers are used in hundreds of thousands of different machine control applications, so we have no way of knowing anything about your "left" and "right" machines, or how the controller is wired or programmed to control the SEW Movitrac motor drive.

Troubleshooting control systems is something many of us do for a living, as do folks in your area called "system integrators". If you can't get help from the builder of your machine, one of them should be your next call. Your local Allen-Bradley sales office or distributor may be able to give you a reference.

I don't want to discourage you from posting or participating, but I do want to encourage you to provide as much clear context and detail about the machine system and the way you think it should function, as you can.

From the limited information you posted here
I would first look at the wiring connections as loose or broken connection to a drive could cause both system fails if it controller loses track of the position it should stop before it crashes

From the limited information you posted here
I would first look at the wiring connections as loose or broken connection to a drive could cause both system fails if it controller loses track of the position it should stop before it crashes

I'm a newbie with these things and learning on the go. Another person said they checked the wires.

sounds like (99% sure) that you're working with an SLC-5/05 processor ....

your best way to get help with this is to upload/save the ENTIRE processor file (RSS extension) from the processor - then ZIP that file and attach it to this thread ... (zipping the file is a forum rule) ....

NOTE: if you insist on placing the file in a dropbox, etc. on the cloud - there are some of us older geeks who won't look at it for security reasons ...

note that when you upload from the processor - you won't get any documentation (comments, etc.) unless you have the original RSS file (with documentation included) present on your laptop ... are you familiar with how all of that stuff fits together? ...

and welcome to the forum ... we'll be glad to help - but right now we know almost ZERO about your system and how it's programmed ... not too much we can do about your problem that way ...

I'm mememememme. See attached as requested.

if the program has been running for years why would you even think it's a program issue \
you would be surprised hw many times i have heard that I have check all the wiring and it o it has to be the program on a machine that has been in service for years without a problem. the fact that is interment should tell you something
it could be an output card failing

if the program has been running for years why would you even think it's a program issue \
you would be surprised hw many times i have heard that I have check all the wiring and it o it has to be the program on a machine that has been in service for years without a problem. the fact that is interment should tell you something
it could be an output card failing

I personally don't think its the program. The guy checking the wires blamed the program. The wire guy doesn't know how it all works either.

As stated before, I'm new to these things. I'm just trying to understand it so that we something to present to management.

I looked over the electrical drawings this morning and see that 103 at 590 is the light that turns off and it has a note that says vertical drive fail. Would that mean that the vfd is causing the failure?

This is the errors for the vfd (page 160): bestu ringen .com/contents/nl/SEW_MC07A005-5A3-4-00_manual.pdf

04 states: Brake Chopper

The wire guy claims this:

extend deceleration ramps -- said what?
check connecting harness for braking resistor- claimed its ok
rectify the short circuit -- unknown if there
rectify ground fault - claimed its not issue
replace VFD -- $$$$$

check the braking resister
it could be a bad connection to it or it may be burned open ( Not likely)
if the vfd can't dump the energy it will fault out on an buss over voltage
on deceleration
it could also be the buss loader (Chopper) burned out in that case the vfd need replaced

Forum Moderator here, to apply some supervision and guidance.

Most of us use our real names or a meaningful nickname. Pounding the keyboard to create a username is less useful, because you can't be easily addressed by name.

Doing it twice, and posting alternately from those accounts, is extra-unhelpful. I strongly recommend you stick with just one of those accounts. You can be anonymous if you wish, but please be consistent.

Remember that none of your readers know anything about the machine that you don't tell us. So far we know that it has left and right sides, at least one vertical mechanism, and includes a PLC and some VFDs, connected with wires.

So when you refer to a wire number on a page, please remember that none of us have that drawing to refer to.

Your developing narrative does suggest that there might be something wrong with the VFD, or with the commands being given to it.

Please provide as much context and detail as you can. Folks here are accustomed to doing interactive question-and-answer type troubleshooting, but it's up to the question-asker to set the stage for success by providing information about the system they are working on.

Again, welcome to the PLCTalk Forum community, dkljfghdkfjgh. I'm going you call you "Farhad" for short.