Wireless Sensors

oldnerd

Does anyone have any experience with Banner wireless sensors and gateways.
Wanted to know how the battery life was on the Q45 sensors.
We are looking at a project where if we use them it would require about 47 and that is a lot of batteries. If you have used this product or know anything about it your in put would be very welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Oldnerd

several consideration factors.
what is the cost difference of the two when you purchase the wired sensors and install them?
if a sensor battery goes dead, how do you determine which one?
can you guarantee that maintenance will have the batteries on hand when you need them for all sensors.
do you plan on replacing them every 6 months?
what is the environment? if there are a lot of motors/vfd's, or big transformers near by, the emf interference will kill you. 8 years in a steel mill taught me that.
one day they work, then the next 8 they don't, then they work again
james

The Banner RTD node radio spec'd 10 years for battery life, without an update rate reference.

I don't trust OEM battery life statements, so I divided by 5 and told the customer he could expect 2 years for battery life. In reality they only get 11 months at the default update rate.

I have no experience with Q45 sensors.

The gateways are DC powered.

There's a status word for each node radio that can be read from the gateway via Modbus. If the value is anything but integer XXXX, then there's a comm fault (or a dead battery) for that specific node radio.

Last edited:
Gents, Thank you for your input. FYI I plan to use the Q45 photo eye to be sure a carrier clears it's station. At present it has a LS, I will be placing the eye in parrilla with the LS.
The gateway adds to Ctrlx. just as any module, and will be ethernet/IP. If you loose connection with a wireless device you get a warning.
Thanks again for your responce.

Have you looked in Steute at all? They seem to have some cool stuff, haven't had a chance to test it out yet but the demo I saw pre-COVID was pretty neat.