Positioning with open loop speed control

aand74

We have to do a positioning with an incremental encoder on the motorshaft that delivers 6 pulses per rotation.
One rotation of the motor is 22.8 mm of the end actuator.
This will be done with a drive that has no encoder connection (open loop speed control). Resolution of the encoder would not allow it anyway. We will read in the encoder with encoder card on plc. We will do the positioning with some logic in the plc (S7 1500 Siemens), no technology object will be used in the plc.
Positioning does not have to be dynamic.
Accuracy has to be +-0.2 mm on target position.
I have some doubts because the speed loop is open, so low speeds are Always difficult.
Does this seem realistic?

You have 3.8 mm per encoder pulse. Your encoder isn’t a high enough resolution to fit your tolerance, and even then you have a host of other issues.

there could be a lot of variables but I would think this would be possible. We have done this several times with SEW hardware. They have a motor with a 96 ppr pulse counter that we have used open loop positioning. We have had success down to +/- 1 pulse. but to do that we have logic that calculates the error and is constantly finetuning itself. So the first run or two during startup are always not as accurate till it calibrates itself.