How to go in PanelView Plus_6 1500 configuration mode

mike3475

Hi,Guys:
I am new to this forum.
No "white box" showing at the boot.
We want to edit .mer file, but we don't know PanelView Plus_6 1500 firmware version.
We saw "APP 08.00" on the boot screen, Does that mean PVP firmware version is "08.00".
Is there compact Flash Card on the logic board of this PVP?
Thanks!

IMG_0279.jpg

As always, it's best to post the full catalog number for your product. That way members can be more specific with their answers, if needs be.

119811 - PanelView Plus 6: How do you access the Maintenance mode/configuration screen
Access Level: Everyone

If you want to enable the white square boot option...

494844 - Turning on the white square in the PanelView Plus 6 or 7
Access Level: Everyone

The application was developed using FactoryTalk View Studio v8.00. But the terminal's firmware revision could be somewhat different. You can view the firmware revision once you get into Configuration Mode.

The PanelView Plus 6 or above logic modules are somewhat different to their predessesors. They have fixed on board memory...

The 400/600 models have 256MB RAM / 512MB Storage (NVRAM).

The 700-1500 models have 512MB RAM / 512MB Storage (NVRAM).

These are not upgradeable as they should now be sufficient for most to all applications.

Regards,
George

Sticker shock...

Trying to determine which catalog number to quote off which label on these terminals can be confusing. The Assembled Terminal label is the one you want to quote for the full terminal...

I can just about make it out...

2711P-T15C4A8

2711P = PanelView Plus 6
T15 = 1500 Touch Screen
C4 = Communications Option Ethernet & RS-232
A = AC Power Supply
8 = Windows CE 6.0 Standard

The other catalog numbers are specific to the two main components - the Display Module and the Logic Model. You need only refer to these if dealing with just those components specifically.

Regards,
George

today, I tried method #119811 : go to safe mode by pressing "default" button, it didn't work. the screen showing:
Special BOOT Action- None

IMG_0368.jpg

the only left method was #494844 : go to safe mode by open window CE control panel.
anyone have idea how to go into window CE screen for panel view plus_6 1500?
thanks!

mike3475 said:
today, I tried method #119811 : go to safe mode by pressing "default" button, it didn't work. the screen showing:
Special BOOT Action- None

The step by step instructions in technote 119811 are very specific and very clear. However, with so many "Modes" being mentioned it may be easy to become confused.

Note: First connect a USB keyboard to the terminal...

When you press the "DEFAULT" button the terminal is started in "Maintenance Mode" and not "Safe Mode". In Maintenance Mode you must then select, using the USB keyboard, which "Special BOOT Action" you require.

When you see the initial option set to...

Special BOOT Action - None

You must then use the LEFT & RIGHT arrow keys on the USB keyboard to change from "None" to "Safe Mode"...

Special BOOT Action - Safe Mode

Once Safe Mode has been selected as the BOOT option, you must then navigate, again using the USB keyboard, up to...

Continue booting with selected options

Then press "Enter" on the USB keyboard and the terminal should reboot into Safe Mode. What Safe Mode does is load into the terminal Configuration Mode instead of running the FactoryTalk View ME Station software and loading and running the application.

As I said, the technote is quite clear. Nothing I have explained here is not in that technote. I am merely reaffirming its instructions.

Please read and follow the technote steps as fastidiously as you can.

Regards,
George

If you put the following line in a autorun.bat file on a USB drive it will automatically copy all .mer files from the PanelView to a USB drive when you insert the USB drive:
copy \Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\*.mer \USB Storage\

But be sure you have the folder "\Rockwell Software\RsViewME\Runtime" on the USB drive first.

I'll admit to never having tried the autorun.bat batch file transfer method on the newer PanelView Plus 6 or 7 terminals.

However, I have used it plenty of times on the older PanelView Plus terminals and I have always included the initial "CD" command (Change Directory). This instructs the terminal to first place the directory focus on the folder where the application file(s) are to be copied from. Then the copy command is executed.

Whether it still works by just entering the copy command alone, as instructed above, while ommiting the initial CD command, I am not sure. I've never tried it without? I've always used the official list of commands.

Either way, the official syntax to use for the batch file for both the older and newer PanelView Plus terminals is available here...

68884 - Batch file to copy .MER (runtime) files to external storage
Access Level: TechConnect

Note how the internal storage folder differs between the old and new terminals - older is "Storage Card" whereas newer is "Application Data". This is because the older terminals are utilizing a proprietary OS installed with the Rockwell firmware which dictates the folder hierarchy, whereas the newer terminals are Windows CE based and so are utilizing a Windows based OS; the Application Data folder being a commonly used Windows folder for installed software's application data files.

It's good that our friend receives plenty of options here on how to achieve their goal. But I do still feel that regardless their goal here, knowing how to navigate into the Configuration Mode on these terminals is a necessary skill to acquire when working on these terminals in general.

Regards,
George

Finally i went in configuration mode by #119811 (at first going in maintenance mode, then going to safe mode).
I got :

ME Station: 8.0.10.12

what does the digits(10.12) after 8.0 mean? maybe that is not important.

thanks everyone to help us!

IMG_0369.jpg

mike3475 said:
...ME Station: 8.0.10.12

what does the digits(10.12) after 8.0 mean?...

8 = Major Firmware Revision
0 = Minor Firmware Revision
10 = Patch Revision
12 = Build Revision

Other information not shown on the screen is the CPR & SR numbers for the firmware revision and software version of View Studio. These stand for Coordinated Product Release & Service Release. This information is/was displayed on the equivalent screen on the older PanelView Plus terminals in brackets after the four delimited revisions listed above.

Older terminal example: 5.10.14.09 (CPR9 SR2)

FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition v8.00.00 = CPR9 SR7

So the full Firmware Revision for your terminal is actually...

8.10.12.09 (CPR9 SR7)

mike3475 said:
...maybe that is not important...

And yes, you are correct in that everything after the Minor Firmware Revision is usually unimportant information to the general user. Still, it's often important to know these trivial facts if for no other reason than to remove some mystery or doubt from one's mind, as is the case here.

Regards,
George