FactoryTalk View ME, can not find the IP address of PanelView Plus 1500?

wendaiyu

Hi, folks, how is going?

There are two PanelView Plus 1500 over our production line and they work well.

Today I edited the configuration on FactoryTalk View ME for one PV plus, then tried to download it.

But I cannot find the IP address (10.10.4.122) of that device via Transfer Utility (pic1).

I am confused right now, because :
1, we can see the IP address (10.10.4.123) of another PV plus on Transfer Utility (pic1).
2, we also can find the IP address (10.10.4.122) from Networks and Devices, FactoryTalk View ME (pic2).

Could somebody help me figure it out?

Thanks.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I'll be honest with you, I've been using FTVS ME for a long time and have never looked at that network view which you are showing in pic 2. If I want to know what RSLinx Enterprise is thinking, I click that "Communications" tab at the very bottom of pic 2. Right click on the driver and click "start browsing" and let it chug away for a bit to refresh.

If it's not showing you what you know is out there, right click on the driver, select properties, Advanced tab, then select the specific IP address of the adapter you want to browse. Accept it, then do the start browsing thing again and let it refresh. I'm not sure what the deal is, but it seems like when it's set to "any" it gets confused. It could be related to switching from one network adapter to another.

Can you Ping 10.10.4.122 ? That is the true test of what is and is not there.

If you can't ping it then the PV does not have the correct IP address or subnet range or an address at all.

If you can Ping it you may need to refresh or recreate the driver. It's a broadcast driver so something might be dropping off the broadcast message.

Make sure you can ping it first then go from there.

You can use "WireShark" to find the IP of any device.
It is a program that is used to "Sniff" traffic on a network.
Basically it is a live scrolling list of ALL the network communications on the PORT you tell it to monitor. It also shows the IPs of the devices that are talking.

Download and install Wireshark.
Set your Laptops Ethernet port to any fixed IP.

It is important to have EVERY Ethernet cable unplugged from the switch except the Panel you are trying to identify and your laptop.
You want to see only the network traffic from these 2 devices because more devices mean way more traffic and it will be hard to sift through too much data.

Open up Wireshark. In the box window on middle left select and highlight "Local Area Connection" or whatever is your Ethernet port on laptop.

Then click START (green shark fin) above.
You will see messages with your laptops IP show up and somewhere in there you will alse see an occasional message from the panel with its current IP attached to the message.

Look for the ODD ball IP and you just found the panels IP. Done

You can use "WireShark" to find the IP of any device.
It is a program that is used to "Sniff" traffic on a network.
Basically it is a live scrolling list of ALL the network communications on the PORT you tell it to monitor. It also shows the IPs of the devices that are talking.

Download and install Wireshark.
Set your Laptops Ethernet port to any fixed IP.

It is important to have EVERY Ethernet cable unplugged from the switch except the Panel you are trying to identify and your laptop.
You want to see only the network traffic from these 2 devices because more devices mean way more traffic and it will be hard to sift through too much data.

Open up Wireshark. In the box window on middle left select and highlight "Local Area Connection" or whatever is your Ethernet port on laptop.

Then click START (green shark fin) above.
You will see messages with your laptops IP show up and somewhere in there you will alse see an occasional message from the panel with its current IP attached to the message.

Look for the ODD ball IP and you just found the panels IP. Done

As you said wire shark is a great tool but the OP is trying to get his networking resolved to be able to use his transfer utility.

You can close the application and go into the panel very easily and get the IP address.

As you said wire shark is a great tool but the OP is trying to get his networking resolved to be able to use his transfer utility.

You can close the application and go into the panel very easily and get the IP address.

Ah, my bad. Tired and quick skim and I misinterpreted the OPs question.
Like was said, trying to ping both panels would be a good start.

This is pretty simple and obvious so you probably already did this but just in case.......

Right Click on Ethernet and then Select "Start Browsing"
Since you can see the address in your comms explorer tree, just doing this should populate it over to your transfer utility.

BCS

FTVSME.jpg

The transfer utility uses RSLinx Enterprise. One time I was unable to solve after trying the ideas in this thread. I had to reinstall RSLinx Enterprise (not RSLinx Classic), which fixed the problem.