Sending Alarm SMS

*bj

I'm currently using Micrologix1400 to send alarm SMS messages via TC35. This Micrologix is a "central node" communicating with all the other nodes and collecting statuses. Depending on the collected, it sends an SMS message. SMS messages are stored in ST file. This was ok, until the number of remote nodes grew and number of messages and related program exceeded 10K memory of Micrologix.

The first question I'd like to propose to discuss, how to get more memory for SMS and keep additional expenses as low as possible? I need to keep this Micrologix as a central node and to use the existing TC35.

My attempt of solution was to use S7-1200 with two CM1241 RS232 modules as a buffer, as it has expandable memory cards up to 24 MB. I'd reconfigure the channel 2 of Micrologix (now used for modem) to send alarm words (16 bit, 1=active alarm, 1 word per remote location) via MODBUS RTU to S7. This communication I've done before and it works.
I'd then use the other RS 232 channel to send AT commands to the TC35 to send SMS. I've also managed to do that.
The problem at hand is the working memory of S7-1200. Although I have enough room on memory card, I'm limited with 50K (or 30K, depending on the controller) of working memory. When all my FB and DB are compiled, this is enough for one remote location. I'm not familiar with how memory on S7-1200 works. (How) can I control what part of load memory is transferred to work memory so the work memory has only the code it needs to run at that moment? My code now has FBs three layers deep, because most of the code is repetitive and all strings are defined as user constants. Number of strings is the bare minimum required.

damica, can you please elaborate what kind of HMI you had in mind?

glcshortt, I'm familiar with AdvancedHMI, but I had no luck with SMS gateways. E.g. [email protected], none of this services seem to work in Croatia. Good idea, though.

Yes we use the Maple System MHI5043LB, you can even download the software for FREE and they have an example of how to send out Email/SMS under their support section.

Should you need help just ask I will do what I can.

A short followup.

I decided to use AdvancedHMI. I read statuses from PLC and give back a string to PLC (SMS text alarm message) along with a bit which tells PLC to send the SMS using the given text in ST file. That way, I use only one string for messages in PLC and AdvancedHMI handles all the trouble of alarm buffer in case of multiple alarms and sends them one by one.

However, another problem occurs. This application should run in background on the same PC which is running FactoryTalk SE. When RSLinx uses the PC ethernet port, AdvancedHMI can't read anything. If I connect PLC into a switch, along with PC on one ethernet port used by FT and another UTP cable into the same switch but on different eth port on PC, it works. Does anyone have a better, more elegant idea? :)

Or you can create these emails yourself. I have to create a lot of emails at work because I provide SEO services. So our team found the solution with the services of temporary numbers, so we get temp sms uk on a secure platform. It even happens that I use these numbers for personal purposes. When I registered on tinder, I didn't want to put my number, so I wrote a temporary one. I still haven't found my love, but I hope to be lucky to have someone in my life this year.