Ethernet to 232 ASCII

I have a KEB C6 Smart PLC that does not have a serial port, and will need to talk to 2 devices that only have RS-232 ports. It is a basic ASCII protocol. I can do ASCII messaging out of the Ethernet port of the PLC, but need some kind of converter to change to RS-232. A lot of the converters on the market expect a PC to be involved somehow. Has anyone done something like this? Any recommendations?

I remember years ago doing a TCP Socket transmission of bytes, and the Digi One IAP Ethernet/Serial device would strip the TCP encapsulation, leaving only serial data on the serial port. Basically the complete ASCII strings had to be sent by the controller, and the IAP device would strip off the TCP information. You have to identify the start/stop ASCII characters in the IAP, so it would know the begin and end of a serial stream of data.

https://www.digi.com/products/serial-servers/industrial-hardened-serial-servers/digioneiapfamily

I have had really good luck over the years with Phoenix Contacts FL-COM servers.

OK AutoMax, who are you and how do you know me?

I have used the Anybus Ethernet/IP to Profinet gateway before. Worked pretty well. I will see what their options are for Ethernet to 232.

Last edited: