Cut to length-Encoder

waasay

Hello All,

I am new to PLC's, I apologize before hand for asking a stupid question.

I'll give some background of what I am trying to achieve here. I am designing a tube cutting machine which would feed the tube and measure it with the help of an encoder. Once the desired length is achieved it would stop feeding and cut the tube. The process will start again until the batch size is reached.I have zero experience in ladder logic and I am eager to learn how to implement my idea.

I am using HE-EXL1E6 PLC and TR1-U1R4-1024NV1 ROCF00 Encoder. How would I write a ladder logic code to make the two talk using a high speed counter to track the pulses and how should those pulses be converted in to inches?
Please direct me to sample ladder logic codes for encoders if there are any.

Thank you,
Waasay

To begin with, don't make the same mistake everyone does when measuring a tube- assuming the material on the conveyor is moving at the same rate the conveyor is moving. So how are you going to index the tube? Roller conveyor, belt conveyor, indexing clamp? Where's your encoder going to be placed, on a conveyor's drive train, a measuring wheel? What tolerances are you shooting for? Why do you think it needs to be programmed in ladder logic? Why do you think you can beat Amada or Kasto at a game they've been playing for fifty years?
I'm not trying to be discouraging, I'm just curious...

I appreciate your reply.

I don't plan on using a conveyor belt, rather a motorized feeder for silicone tubes and material guides that would keep the tube straight and prevent from back tension. Will be using tension arms and spring infused wheels to keep the material in place.

The encoder will be placed below the material. My tolerance is +/-3mm.
The reason it should be connected to the plc is because I will be using an HMI to input what length and how many tube are needed. So, the plc is able to keep track of each cut.

Correct me if i'm wrong or if there is a better way of doing this?

Thank you,
-waasay

Correct me if i'm wrong or if there is a better way of doing this?

Thank you,
-waasay

*Deleted to avoid confusion* Edit: I read the data sheet wrong, it's a 6" circumference. That puts it at about 20 counts for a 3mm window.

So you will have a window of about -20 counts to +20 counts. This shouldn't be too hard.

Now, what's the feed rate?

Last edited: