SLC 500/RSLogix 500 Communications

kerch

Hey Everyone,

I'm kinda new at this but here's my situation:

I have a SLC 500 (1747-L40C) in an ARPAC shrink wrapper.
We've been having issues connecting our laptop to the processor. We use RSLinx then go to the RSLogix500 program.
We use the AB_KT-2 DH-485 driver. This is the only SLC that we use that the baud rate is different. We have to change it to 9600.

Anyhow, when I got to work tonight, the tech on 2nd shift was trying to connect to the SLC.
During his attempts to connect he was plugging/unplugging the connector on the front of the SLC. he said he saw a flash at one point then the CPU light started to blink.

I read some of the threads in here so I think that the program got wiped out and everything is back to the factory defaults.
We do have the program backed up and also on a disc.

I've been trying off and on for the last 5 hours to communicate with this thing so I can load the program into it but I'm not having any success.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.
If I don't respond to any questions, I will tonight when I return to work.

Thanks,
John

If you are pic (or) Connect the plc directly to the processor go to online with processor (processor is with major fault) try to clear the fault

I have the unit on the bench already.
I still have no success trying to communicate or go online.
I can't establish communications with the RS Linx program to be able to launch the RSLogx 500 to be able to go online.

Kerch,

What method are you using to connect to the PLC. Sounds like you have the PCMCIA card since your driver is ABKT2. Is that assumption correct?

Marc

Marc,
Yes I'm using the PCMCIA card.
I use the following driver:

AB_KT-2,DH-485
9600 Baud
Node 1

I've tried to change the baud rate to 19.2k (only other option)
and have tried different nodes.
When I check the Autobrowse box it can find the node but it's the workstation that it finds not the slc so when I launch the RSLogix500 and try to go online, it comes up saying that the node it found is not a PLC,SLC etc.

Greetings kerch ...

and welcome to the forum ...

first of all, the SLC system that you’re working with is what we normally call a “fixed” or “brick” type system ... the User Manual for your system is here at this link ... note that this was written back in March 1996 - before RSLogix500 became the SLC programming language of choice ... so for any references to “Advanced Programming Software” (APS) that you run into, just substitute “RSLogix500 Software” instead ...

the sad thing is that I don’t think there is going to be much in that book which will help you ... I’m VERY concerned about this statement from your first post:

During his attempts to connect he was plugging/unplugging the connector on the front of the SLC. he said he saw a flash at one point then the CPU light started to blink.

that “flash” business sounds pretty bad ... there is NO guarantee of course, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the communications port on the front of the SLC - AND/OR - the PCMK card - AND/OR - the communication cable is/are now fried ...

have you already checked the PCMK card and its cable on another “good” processor? ... that would be my first step ... basically you want to make sure that your communication hardware is still functional ... if that works ok, then I’d try communicating with the “bad” processor ... of course if the communication gear is “bad”, then you’re obviously fighting a losing battle in trying to use it ...

you might also find this Knowledgebase article helpful ... it shows how to reset different kinds of SLC processors back to “factory default” status ... this is a MUST DO step before you finally “give-up-and-go-buy-a-new-one” ...

it sounds like you’ve already jumped through all of the recommended “go online” hoops - but I’ll grasp at a straw and make one more suggestion ... quit trying to go “online” with the processor and just try to download the correct program instead ... I’d try doing that at BOTH of the available DH-485 baud rates ... I’ve seen this approach work a couple of times in the field ... the basic idea is that if you can’t get “online” with the processor because the existing program in there is “scrambled/corrupt”, then downloading a “good” (or even a “blank” program) will sometimes (regrettably not always) smooth things over ... once the program is no longer messed up, then maybe you can get back “online” ... I’d certainly cross my fingers before trying this - but if all else fails, definitely give it a try ... this approach probably will NOT work in your situation since you report that RSLinx can’t even “see” your processor ... but when you’ve reached the end of the line, you’ve got to try SOMETHING ...

and here’s something else to worry about ... I’ve seen people make the following mistake in the field ... the connection on the front of your SLC processor is a perfect fit for a standard “Ethernet” cable connection ... BUT ... two of the pins in the SLC’s port have 24VDC applied to them ... I have seen cases where a desperate technician will make a logical (but incorrect) guess and connect an Ethernet cable (either straight-through or cross-over or BOTH) between the front of the SLC and the Ethernet port on the programming computer ... if your technician’s “Plug-and-Pray” cable swapping might have involved this type of activity, then it might be a good idea to check your computer’s Ethernet port too ...

finally ... if the “fixed” SLC is indeed fried beyond recovery, the generally accepted solution is to replace it with an equivalent (but more up-to-date) MicroLogix controller ... if you need to go this far, then the guys on the forum will be able to help you select the “best fit” model ... I’d suggest that you post a complete list of all of the other units that your plant uses before you travel that path ... keeping things as consistent as possible is usually a very good idea ...

hopefully my “worst case” scenario outlook is overly pessimistic - and all will turn out well the very next time you try to connect to your little processor ... I’d love to be wrong on this one ...

good luck - and please keep us posted on the outcome ...

kerch said:
Marc,
Yes I'm using the PCMCIA card.
I use the following driver:
AB_KT-2,DH-485
9600 Baud
Node 1

I've tried to change the baud rate to 19.2k (only other option)
and have tried different nodes.
When I check the Autobrowse box it can find the node but it's the workstation that it finds not the slc so when I launch the RSLogix500 and try to go online, it comes up saying that the node it found is not a PLC,SLC etc.

I was heading in a slightly different direction. Kerch said his pcmcia config is as listed above. If his processor faulted or reset, it may have defaulted to the factory node setting of 1. Ie duplicate node settings. He went offline this morning and haven't heard back from him today. Kerch if you are still reading these responses, change you PCMCIA driver setting to a node other than 1 and see what happens. It may be as simple as that, or then again.... Rons worst case may be right (hopefully not)

Let us know how you make out.

Marc

Whoops, missed the node part, ha ha it was early this morning.

Proceesor default 19200 and node 1 make sure pcmcia 19200 AND node other than 1.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'm the only support person on nights and had to take other calls.
Anyhow, after reading everyone's suggestions we finally got comm with the SLC. We created a new driver and left the node at 0 and changed the baud rate to 19.2k and it connected.
The only diffence this timeis that we deleted the other 2 KT drivers that were already created.
I think that it was seeing duplicate nodes like Marc had mentioned.
We were able to install the original program and get the shrink tunnel back into operation.
Now my problem is that the interface panel does not work. I'm thinking it's because the baud rate should be set back to 9600 but I'm not sure of how to do this part either.

I just got to work now so I need to do some reading to see if I can figure this out.

Again, thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I'm amazed at how this whole forum thing actually works!
John

and here’s something else to worry about ... I’ve seen people make the following mistake in the field ... the connection on the front of your SLC processor is a perfect fit for a standard “Ethernet” cable connection ... BUT ... two of the pins in the SLC’s port have 24VDC applied to them ... I have seen cases where a desperate technician will make a logical (but incorrect) guess and connect an Ethernet cable (either straight-through or cross-over or BOTH) between the front of the SLC and the Ethernet port on the programming computer ... if your technician’s “Plug-and-Pray” cable swapping might have involved this type of activity, then it might be a good idea to check your computer’s Ethernet port too ...
I did this very thing with an Allen Bradley ethernet cable to the PCMK card on a slc500 processor that ran the AC unit on the power house for a factory in Michigan. Who would have thought that just shorting out the processor would kill power to the entire plant?
Processor started up again ok. oops
Just don't forget to write the data to the EEprom.