Generic Ethernet Module

Jacob Brown

All, I had to recently set up and use a generic Ethernet module for my project, and I was wondering, if I can set up other devices to communicate via generic Ethernet module to a PLC? Like a Raspberry Pi running some software to send data to the module, such as SINT's or something? And also, if I could do this, what would I make the settings to be (Input instance, output instance, config instance) for the Ethernet module? Basically, I want to set up a device to send data to a PLC using a generic Ethernet module. Does anybody know of any way to do this, or what I should read up on? Thanks!

There are several libraries out there that will allow you to send/receive data with a Raspberry Pi. They do not rely on the Generic Ethernet Module to be in the I/O tree since the libraries don't require that type of connection.

Check out this thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=104397

If you read through it, there are a few options (pylogix, pycomm and libplctag). There's also a project out there called TuxPLC. If you want to give pylogix a try I can help if you need it.

Another option would be to run AdvancedHMI on the Pi using a project called Mono.

http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=666.0

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply dmroeder! The Pi was just an example of something that I could use. Maybe a program running on a computer (that doesn't use RsLogix or any of the related software, just a program (maybe C++, python, etc.)). I've had to use multiple devices that require the use of a generic Ethernet module, I was just wondering if I could expand that to other devices such as computers or custom made devices. Thanks!

I'd like to take a brief step back and mention that the "Generic Ethernet Module" object should really be called the "Generic EtherNet/IP(TM) Adapter" object, with the capital N that designates the Rockwell-led ODVA-managed CIP protocol over Ethernet.

The word "Generic" is accurate; it's not branded or identified like an A-B device that you choose out of the list. The controller doesn't check for its Vendor or Type or Code.

But I'd prefer that the module be specifically called an "EtherNet/IP Adapter" because it does require that the device support a cyclic Class 1 EtherNet/IP Server connection.

Devices that only support EtherNet/IP messaging (MicroLogix, PanelView Plus) don't work with that object, and there's the frequent assumption that the name means that the controller is sending "generic Ethernet" packets to the device.

There is a EtherNet/IP Class 1 cyclic server program that is on GitHub under the name "EIPStackGroup / OpENer". That's probably the simplest open-source way to get such a device working.

But for commercial applications, I very strongly recommend a commercial software toolkit from IXXAT, HMS Fieldbus, or Real Time Automation.

there's the frequent assumption that the name means that the controller is sending "generic Ethernet" packets to the device.

That's definitely what I thought he was talking about, open socket communication.

Thanks for the clarification.