problem with siemens profisafe safety module

dotolee

Hi. I'm getting the following error on my PLC:
"Faulty Module (diagnostic interrupt detected)"

while online with the PLC, in the diagnostic buffer on the CPU, i see an message that says:
"module problem or maintenance necessary"
and then the details of the message says:
"module type: digital SM
input address: 3
channel information available
module/submodule fault
external module error
channel error detected
requested ob: diagnostic interrupt ob(ob82)
priority class 26
external error, incoming event"

prior to getting this message, i saw an error that indicated the module was looking for OB82, which didn't exist.
So i created an object, called it ob82 and saved it. but i didn't actually add any code or change anything on the object.
then i downloaded the program to the PLC again...

i imagine the PLC module is trying to report that it's missing inputs / outputs but there is no error handling routine / program yet.
is this assumption correct?
what else do i need to do to get rid of this error?
this is just a test PLC. i won't have any inputs or outputs on the safety module.
thank you.

You can't create OB82 yourself, it's a predefined Siemens Block which you need to copy into your program from the "Organization Blocks" folder in the Standard Library.

You don't need to put any code into the block - as long as it's present online it will avoid the problem of the PLC going into STOP. Alternatively you can put in code to save the TEMP values which will help you identify the faulty device.

You can't create OB82 yourself, it's a predefined Siemens Block which you need to copy into your program from the "Organization Blocks" folder in the Standard Library.

You don't need to put any code into the block - as long as it's present online it will avoid the problem of the PLC going into STOP. Alternatively you can put in code to save the TEMP values which will help you identify the faulty device.

Did you ever try to create it, you might be surprised.

creating ob82

I apologize for my ignorance! Here's what I mean when i say i created the OB82. I opened my step 7 project and expanded the tree on the left hand side until i got to S7 Program/Blocks. I already had a OB1... so i just right clicked on the Blocks folder on the left, selected "Insert New Object", "Organization Block". Then in the dialogue box that appears, I changed the default name from OB2 to OB82. I didn't change anything else. I just clicked on OK to save the object.
This got rid of the original error (which was saying that I was missing an OB82), but created the error I've described in my earlier post.
Out of curiousity, i just tried to open OB82 by double clicking on it. That brought me to a new window where it looks like I can do ladder / structured text programming. As per your post, i tried to check out the OB82 in the libraries folder on the left.
The properties of this OB essentially look the same as my OB.

so to summarize, i guess i still have two questions:

1. Can you confirm that the way I've created my OB82 is ok? If not, can you give me some details on how to create this from the standard library?
can i do this from the simatic manager or do i do this from the "LAD, STL, FBD - Programming S7 Blocks" tool?

2. If I've created the OB82 block properly, is it ok just to leave the PLC in the error state? the "SF" led is red on my CPU and on my safety module. I just want to create an output to send 24v to a motor..

thank you.

Last edited:
The way you created OB82 is perfect.
You also discovered that the fault handling OB do not have to contain code, as long as they exist, the CPU will not enter the STOP mode when the corresponding fault occurs. The SF LED will still turn on, but the CPU will still be in run.

Check the setup for the module that is generating the diagnostic fault, if you don't need the diagnostics turn off that feature in the properties for the SM card.

silly question from me
do you have the safety programming software installed in your step 7?

Hi. I'm getting the following error on my PLC:
"Faulty Module (diagnostic interrupt detected)"

while online with the PLC, in the diagnostic buffer on the CPU, i see an message that says:
"module problem or maintenance necessary"
and then the details of the message says:
"module type: digital SM
input address: 3
channel information available
module/submodule fault
external module error
channel error detected
requested ob: diagnostic interrupt ob(ob82)
priority class 26
external error, incoming event"

It could be there is a fault in some input channel. You may have faulty safety device connected to it.

my thought exactly TurpoUrpo
and you need the full software to diagnose the safety network

safety module information

here are my responses to the last several posts from different folks (by the way, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions).

1. do i have safety program installed? I don't think so. I was handed the hardware assembled and I just started to work with it.
So far, just assigned IP address, and created the OB82.

2. I don't have anything connected to the PLC. It currently does not have any inputs or outputs wired up.

3. please note the image i've attached to this post. can i just disable the different channels on the safety module for now? also should i change the "passivate the entire module" to "passivate the channel"?

thanks

siemens et 200s.jpg

Last edited:
Dotolee

As has already been asked - do you have distributed Safety installed?
From Simatic Manager, Help, click on Installed software.
Next, that hardware configuration, looks like the Siemens Canada Distibuted safety demo, if it is, you should be able to get a description of how the safety IO is wired, and how the HW needs to be configured.
The software configuration needs to match the physical HW for both the actual cat numbers and how the IO devices are wired / used.

Dotolee

As has already been asked - do you have distributed Safety installed?
From Simatic Manager, Help, click on Installed software.
Next, that hardware configuration, looks like the Siemens Canada Distibuted safety demo, if it is, you should be able to get a description of how the safety IO is wired, and how the HW needs to be configured.
The software configuration needs to match the physical HW for both the actual cat numbers and how the IO devices are wired / used.

Hi.
sorry for not being able to answer the question originally.
i checked and i do have"S7 Distributed Safety Programming v5.4 SP5" installed.
i will try to google the safety module for manuals / instructions and see what i can find. i think the software config does match my hardware config. i added each module to hw config by searching for each cat number...
thanks for the help.

Dotolee,
Have you configured the safety system in Distributed Safety?
- Created a FCall block and called it from OB35?
- What is the time interrupt for OB35 set to?

There are a number of steps that must be performed before a Safety PLC will work with out generating a fault.

If you have not had any training with safety PLC operation
It is time to do it now.
You will be putting someones or peoples lives at risk without the propper knowledge.
Thie is well above normal programming