Bringing Data Science to Automation

NO_ERR

I am not very experienced (2 yr) so this question is for people who know both what is going on with data science currently and have experience with the automation industry.

Data science has really come a long way. A lot of things are even open source and very powerful. Someone had trouble cleaning a database recently at work and I wondered if tools like pandas and others would be useful. Not to mention the data display stuff like D3 and correct me if I am wrong, but mySQL and SQL are very old and we have much better database languages now.

What are some things that are just blatantly bad or expensive in automation that could be replaced by a new solution with (any amount of) work?
OSI PI for example is relatively inexpensive, what if you were to make an app that would take the .CSV file and make it into beautiful displays that are interactive with D3? Probably not that hard (I think). Wonder Ware and In-Touch Edge is expensive is it not?

Please brain storm with me this is open for discussion.

Thank you for your time