ABB Drive and EDS

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, Does anyone know if an EDS for an ABB ACS-550 drive with an RDNA-01 devicenet adaptor exists. All I can find is the EDS for the ACS-800 drive. Never again will I complain about it being hard to find something on the AB site. The ABB site is a nightmare. Regards Alan Case

I have done all the searches but to no avail.
The local ABB guru is now emailing Finland to see if he can find an EDS for this unit. The ACS-550 is the latesst release of a drive from ABB of which I now have 10 sitting in switchboards ready to be commissioned. The thing that annoys me is I specifically asked for the EDS files to be delivered with the drives. They were, but when I started to commission I found they sent me the files for an ACS-800.
Their answer to this was the drive uses the same devicenet adaptor so whats the difference. Makes you wonder how some people get jobs.

This has not helped but a good rant does make me feel better.
If anyone has an EDS for a ACS-550-XXX-04 with the adaptor RDN-01 could you please message me.
Regards Alan Case

I'll try to help, Alan, but I need to know what you mean by "EDS". I've been doing this with ABB for a lot of years and don't recognize the achronym unless it is "Electronic Data Sheet".

Let me know.

"EDS Files" are Electronic Data Sheets. They are specially formatted text files that describe DeviceNet-related parameters and functions so that general-purpose DeviceNet configuration software can configure any vendor's product.

EDS files are especially tricky for variable-speed drives because each variation on the drive will have a different EDS file. A change in voltage or power rating will require a different EDS, for example, because the Min/Max/Default values will be different for several parameters in the drive. A totally different model number, like an ACS550 instead of an ACS800, will have very different parameter sets and require a different EDS.

When I last commissioned an ABB ACS600 drive on DeviceNet, I think I recall having to get the EDS file specially from their network guru in New Berlin, WI. Because this weekend is a holiday in the States, you might be stuck until Tuesday.

We could probably "cobble together" an EDS file, especially if you are using RSNetworx for DeviceNet, which would let you access many of the drive's settings to get them commissioned. If you have a separate ABB-specific configuration software (or keypad interface method) we could cut down the EDS to access only the DeviceNet network-related parameters that might be the same between ACS800 and ACS550.

Thanks Dick and Ken.
I can swap a few things around in the switchboards and get the drives running digitally at a set speed which will do for now. This is a relatively new drive but I cannot be the only person in the world who has put one on devicenet so I presume that ABB do have an RDS for the drive.
A suggestion to anyone from ABB: Please group any EDS files together in a download section of your website. At present all the EDS files I can find are scattered all over the place.
If the worst eventuates then I will do what Ken suggests and try to write my own from parts of the ACS-800 EDS.
Regards Alan Case

Alan, I went thru the ABB website and, sure enough, there is no RDNA-01-KIT Instruction Manual listed. I assume you checked out Parameter Groups 51 and 52 in the drive Instruction Manual and found those inadequate for setting up your network.

I also checked the listed Instruction Manuals for the ACH550 which is the same drive only configured for HVAC applications and, no RDNA manual there either.

I will contact factory support on Tuesday and see if I can get what you need. You are right, this should not be the first request for this documentation, especially in view of how wildly popular the new ACS550 has been.

I would expect that the proper manual would be packed in the box with the option card but, you probably are setting parameter documentation ahead of installation so that doesn't help.

I'll be in contact.

Hi Dick. The Devicenet option card comes with a manual but there is also a text file called an EDS or Electronic Data Sheet that is required by the network software to allow the software to recognise the adaptor and what is connected to it. This EDS is unique to each item.
ie a 4kw ACS-550 will have a different to an 18kw ACS-550.
The EDS is basically a text file that is registered into whatever programming software you use (I use RSNetworx for DNet).
This file acts a bit like a lookup table which allows the scanner you are using to know what parameters are in the drive and how they are addressed. These files are written by the hardware vendor and as far as I know have to be supplied for the vendor to comply with the ODVA (open devicenet vendors assosciation). If you go to Rockwells site you will find a section with literally 1000's of these files to download. ABBs files are incredibly hard to find, some are not listed and I am starting to suspect some are not even written.
Without the EDS file then a devicenet adaptor and what it is connected to is just a chunk of plastic and copper.
The local ABB guys here have tried to be helpfull but I have found there knowledge of DNet and its requirements to be limited.
I have inclued an EDS from an ACS-800 as an example.
Regards Alan Case