Updating Firmware, Hot Swapping & Other Madness

mrhhassan

Ok I have a CompactLogix L20 Controller and have been building some code that takes up almost all available memory on the PLC.

My boss keeps getting me to tinker with the code (adding small functions and removing/modifying others) and as such I've been downloading to the PLC a lot. Sometimes I get Out of Logic Memory errors but getting rid of some unused tags and using existing ones better I can get round those.

One BIG problem I'm having is occassionally when using RSLogix 5000 I will download something (it will download with no errors) then I go offline. It takes a while to go offline, longer than usual, and when I do I find I can no longer go online or download anymore code.

Every time I try to go online it tells me the controller is not responding or there is an invlaid path.

If I try to download then it has the same message but also says the project and controller firmware are incompatible and suggests I upload new firmware or change my project revision.

I have so far come across two solutions - I can remove the battery from the PLC for 15mins, or I can hotswap the attached modules (disconnect the bus whilst the power is on) - not the brightest of ideas bya longshot but it seems to wipe the PLC's memory which miracously allows me to download a new codeset without updating firmware.

Is there another way I can get round this problem? The PLC I used is seales in a case and requires me to dissassemble the case to access the PLC directly so neither of the two methods I found are very convenient.

If you look on Rockwell Software's website there is a technote regarding communication between RSLinx and ControlLogix processors and if I remember right the communication will do stange things (like you describe) once you get below 1.2KB of remaining processor memory. The only real way to solve the problem is to upgrade to an L30 processor.

Darren

I had exaclty the same proble with Control Logix processor
once the memory limit was reached (actuallt 2kb left free).
Memory upgrade fixed it ($$$).