AB 1794 Flex IO

DaveW

Does anyone know if the electronics for the Flex I/O modules are internally powered from the backplane or do you have to power up the terminal block base? I have some 1794-OW8, 1794-IB16 and 1794-OB16 connected to a 1794-ASB with 24VDC on the ASB that I want to configure and setup with the PLC but without powering up the I/O's until they finish wiring all the field signals first.

1794-OW8, 1794-IB16 and 1794-OB16

Those ones are. The 24 VDC supply to the adapter module will power the "brains" of up to 8 discrete modules attached to the FlexBus plug.

Most analog modules require a separate power source, preferably one that can start up simultaneously or before the adapter does, so the adapter can properly determine how many modules are connected when it boots.

For the discrete modules you mentioned, you can go ahead and just connect 24 VDC to the 1794-ASB adapter module.

Apparently I did not read initial post completely:

For setup purposes you don't have to have any power to the base, "brain" will work from the bus. But to control someting you must have 24VDC connected to the output bases.

Sorry for confusion.