You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 1st, 2007, 07:54 AM   #1
kbradray
United States

New PLC Network Help

This site has bailed me out in the past, and I have several questions that still need to be answered concerning PLC networking. I am taking a new position with a company to bring it into the 21st century. They have several SLCs on the floor individually running equipment. I know prior to starting the new job that I will be required to network all of the PLCs on a network of my choice. My experience is working with an existing network of a domain server, Logix, SLCs, and PLC5s via a switch/router. I have read on this site that we need to keep the PLC network and the corporate network separate and the reasons behind this. I am familiar with OPC/DDE (linxPro) but I need any information or direction you can give as far as 1) creating a PLC network and 2) tying the PLC network in with a corporate network (I would assume with linx gateway) for data acquisition. Below are some specific questions I have:

• What is the difference between the linx drivers AB_ETH and AB_ETHIP?
• What networking tools and methods are recommended for the PLC network?
• Some guidance on how linx gateway works.
• What is the best way to network PLCs? Can they be connected together with individual IP addresses into 1 remote switch/router?

Please forgive my elementary level of questions, but this is new territory for me. Thanks for any help.

Ken
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Ken Moore
United States

Can you provide more details on the models of the PLC's? Which is most important, cost or performance? Or a combination of two?

Old April 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
kbradray
United States

Combination of the two. I don't know what I have to work with at this time other than the new company uses SLC processors. I am planning to have to add everything to create the network including PLC communication cards to ethernet the processors. I am looking for any help so that I can be somewhat prepared prior to starting my job on the 9th.

ken
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbradray
.. the new company uses SLC processors...
If they are all 504's then I would look at a DH+, I have had very good luck with it, depending on how many they have, you could be looking at some big bucks getting them all on the Ethernet one at a time, I have a DH+ network and I have one CLX on the data hwy, this is how I get them all over to the ethernet, you can use the CLX as a bridge...that said I'm still installing it, not much time these days for the fun stuff

Good luck on your new job
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #5
kbradray
United States

Thanks Genious. I guess you are correct. I will actually see what I have to work with to get a better idea of what I have to do. Thanks for all help.

|ken
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
kbradray
United States

spelling error in last post

genius
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum