Banner iVu with Compact Logix

Daniel_LeRoy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been searching for the right answer and have found some threads that skirted around the question but none have helped yet.

Okay I have a Banner iVu Barcode reader, that I'm connecting to my Compactlogix through the Ethernet I/P. I went through the setup that Banner gives you in their "iVu Plus Industrial Ethernet User's Guide". It walks you through adding an Ethernet Module and the settings you need.

When RS5000 sets up the tag I/O it sets the arrays to INT, the specific arrays that are going to be your data Banner says switch the style from Decimal to ASCII.

Okay so I have that all set up and I'm getting good data from the reader and its showing up in the right spot, but now I need to manipulate the data. I'm attempting to use a String to DINT command but am having a hard time with it. Whenever I select the source it won't let me select the data in the tags that 5000 generated for the module. It gives me the Invalid Data Type Error!!

Can anyone give me some good advice?:confused:

I would first try to "alias" the tags created at the time of module's configuration since they might not be true STRING Data Type tags; use STRING Data Type for the newly created alias tags.
After the re-formatting within RSL5K then you could try STODing the aliases.

Last edited:
When I create the Alias it is the same data type as the original tag "INT" and it won't let me change it. ......

Hold on a second...
You have an INT data type tag...Of course STOD will not let you choose an INT data type for a source...It needs to be a STRING data type...
If you want a STRING from an INT you might want to use DTOS instead.
What's the purpose of "manipulating" the data?

!!! Your right!!! I've been looking at this completely the wrong way. For some reason when I changed the style to ASCII in my head it then became a Sting data type, but that's not true. It still is an INT!!

I'm ashamed on how much time that wasted!