Siemens WinCC Flex to Oracle

Wired

I have (2) WinCC Flexible Touch Screens MP270B connected via ehternet to a PC.

The customer wants to log data in Oracle version 10G.

I loaded the OPC server add-on to WinCC Flexible units.

I have oracle loaded on the PC.

I have a runtime WinCC flexible for the PC not loaded yet.

I was told I need Siemens Industrial Data Bridge to Talk from the touch panels to the Oracle. Is the correct?

If I load the WinCC flexible Runtime to the PC to aquire all of the data. Is there a way to get the data to oracle. Take the OPC server of the Touch Panels and use one copy on the WinCC Runtime?

I am not sure if the OPC Server that is installable on the MP panels will do the job for you. I think they use a new-fangled "XML" version of OPC, and that it should be VERY slow. I have read a technote somewhere that Siemens doesnt recommend it for larger datavolumes.

I dont know Siemens Industrial Databridge but it says that it will work directly with oracle:

From the specifications for Industrial Databridge.
As data source:
  • OPC Data Access 1.0 and 2.0 (e.g. SIMATIC WinCC, SIMATIC ProTool/Pro, SIMATIC WinAC and SIMATIC NET as OPC Server)
  • Databases through SQL/OLE DB/ODBC (MS Access, MS SQL 2000 and Oracle)
  • Send/Receive with TCP native, UDP, ISO on TCP
  • WinAC ODK
As data destination:

• OPC Data Access 1.0 and 2.0 (e.g. SIMATIC WinCC, SIMATIC ProTool/Pro, SIMATIC WinAC and SIMATIC NET as OPC Server)
  • Databases through SQL/OLE DB/ODBC (MS Access, MS SQL 2000 and Oracle)
  • Microsoft Excel (97/2000)
  • Send/Receive with TCP native, UDP, ISO on TCP
  • WinAC ODK
I read the above as it will work without any further drivers if you have the PLC on ethernet. Otherwise you will need an OPC server for S7.

There is an OPC Server bundled with Win CC Flexible runtime, but it is for Ethernet only.

I think that Siemens Industrial Databridge looks like a competent and probably expensive product !

If you have ethernet to the PLC, then the simplest solution would be to use the Ethernet OPC server (from Win CC Flexible or a new license, Simatic Softnet Ethernet LEAN is quite cheap), and then get an OPC client for Oracle.
An example for such an OPC client is this one from Matrikon:
http://www.matrikonopc.com/products/opc-drivers/Details.asp?driver=952

You could get prices and demo versions for everything and test it out.