Ge Fanuc 90-30 Cpu Swap Problems

Hello again All,

I have an old machine with a GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC in it. The existing CPU is a 331. I programmed a touchscreen to replace an old GE Fanuc Panelware interface. This was my first touchscreen and it went relatively well. Just alot of detective work to determine hooks. The machine works fine with the new touchscreen and with the existing CPU.

My problem arises when I remove the existing CPU and replace it with a 364. I want to do this to be able to network all of our machines for diagnostics and real-time data collection/monitoring. I configure the new CPU and it says configuration valid and equal. I go into the programmer package and download the same program as is in the 331 and it says logic equal. I have inputs and the PLC says it is firing outputs (to start a motor that moves a platten) but no movement.

Am I missing something? It is almost like it is not communicating with the APU300's??

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

There may be some data values in %R registers that aren't initialized by ladder logic.

Upload the values from the CPU331 to the programmer and then download the values along with the configuration and the ladder logic to the CPU364.

Is your problem with a High Speed Counter module (IC693APU300) or a motion controller module (IC693APU301 or IC693APU302)? There is a lot more involved in configuring a motion controller module than just assigning I/O addresses.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for reply. The values in the registers very well could be my problem. I'll try to upload everything from the 331 and then download everything to the 364.

I am not trying to configure the APU300 and have not changed anything else in the logic or config except the CPU.

Thanks!

Hello again All,

I uploaded the program logic, configuration, and reference tables before removing the 331 CPU and then downloaded all of the same to the PLC once the 364 CPU was in place.

Still have no control or movement from mechanisms whose position is controlled/monitored through APU300.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott, Can you verify that the register values were actually loaded? It is posable that the values were lost from the CPU331 if it was without power for an extended period of time.
If you are willing to either email the program to me or post a backup of it here I, or Steve (I'm sure) will take a look at it and make a recommendation.

How did you go about configuring the version that includes the CPU364? I ask because the CPU364 includes 80 %I inputs in its configuration. Is there any chance that those inputs interfere with the inputs assigned to the APU300 module in the original configuration?

If possible, post backup files from both the CPU331 and CPU364 versions. If your company is skittish about posting them on a public forum, contact me via PM on this site and I'll give you my email address so you can send them to me directly.

Hello Russ and Steve,

Thanks for replies.

I'll get folder zipped and try to post it. Do you have to do anything special to be able to post files on this forum? Authorization, etc...???

Be back shortly.

Hello again Russ and Steve,

Here is an attempt to post a zip file of the LM90 folder. Let me know if I have not provided information needed?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hello Again All,

I looked in the variable declarations and the program is using Inputs 80 through 88 for the APU300 operation. They are used as follows:

%I80 ERROR WITH HI-SPEED COUNTER
%I81 STROBE REGISTER 1 STATUS
%I82 STROBE 1 REGISTER 2 STATUS
%I83 STROBE 2 REGISTER 1 STATUS
%I84 STROBE 2 REGISTER 2 STATUS
%I85 PRELOAD 1 STATUS
%I86 PRELOAD 2 STATUS
%I87 DISABLE 1 STATUS
%I88 DISABLE 2 STATUS

Will I have to go in and reconfigure these to ones that don't conflict with the predefined ones in the 364 CPU?

Thanks!

Hello Again All,

I also found I89 through I93 are also used.

%I89 TOP PLATEN EXTEND OUTPUST STATUS
%I90 COUNTER 1 OUTPUT 2 STATUS
%I91 BOTTOM PLATEN EXTEND OUTPUT STATUS
%I92 COUNTER 2 OUTPUT 2 STATUS
%I93 MODULE READY HI-SPEED COUNTER

The analog inputs are AI1-AI30

Cheers!

Your configuration shows two High Speed Counter modules (APU300).
The first one is addressed for discrete inputs %I0081 - %I0096 and discrete outputs %Q0081 - %Q0096. That's what QI0081 in the configurattion means.
The second one is addressed for discrete inputs %I0121 - %I0136 and discrete outputs %Q0121 - %Q0136.

The program doesn't appear to be doing anything with the second HSC module, although output %Q0131 is used in the logic. That bit enables one of the module's outputs. Also %AI019 is used in the logic. That's the accumulator for one of the counters on the module.

That variable declaration for %I0080 would only be correct if there was a HSC module addressed to %QI0064. The sixteenth discrete input associated with the module is the error status bit. The variable declaration for %I0096 is OK for a module addressed at %QI0081.

Quick question: Is it possible that one of the HSC modules is no longer used but still wired, and somehow the terminal blocks for the two modules got swapped?

Could it be a backplane power problem Steve? He's got a 321 power supply in there and the 364 pulls more juice than the 331. I opened it up in CME and the Power Supply Icon was red. I switched it to a 331 CPU and it turned yellow. I changed the Power Supply to a 330 with a 364 and it was back to green.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for looking into this!

It is very possible that the second HSC is not being used. The wires haven't been swapped, though.

Should I remove the module and reconfigure and see if everything still functions properly?

Thanks!

With the 321 it using 114.87% of the 5V Supply, with the 330 it only 57.23%

Scott, I'd say get your hands on a IC693PWR330 Power Supply and see what happens.