Omron CJ1W-CIF21 simple comms unit

RoTaTech

First, my jab - simple communications unit - yeah right. That must mean that it is simple - as in simpleton, not simple to use.

Point:
I am using an Omron CJ1M, with this CIF21 attached. There are 21 identical temperature controllers linked to the CIF.

I am modifying a network and program. The original program was written for 17 TCs, and 4 more were added. They are configured correctly as far as wiring, remote access enabled, etc.

I modified the existing program to read and write the new controllers, by replicating the existing controller logic. All we do is read and write 4 values, setpoint, present value, hysterisis, and on/off status.

I can read from the new and old controllers, so I know I have the addressing correct, and at least the read logic, but I cannot write to them.

The data goes into the DMs that should be sent to the TCs, but does not update the TC itself - either on the read data (i.e. if I write a new setpoint, I should be able to read it back), nor on the TC itself.

Any ideas? Has anyone else ever used a CIF?

I have not used the CIF21.
Have you checked the manual?
You should be able to download from:
www.omron.ca choose Document Library from menu on left.
Enter W400 in partial document number box, then search.

Hope this will help.

Reference manual section 4-2.
Guessing the problem is setting for number of connected units.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
got the manual, got a 'quick-start' guide written by Omron tech support in Toronto, still no luck yet.

They think it may be a timing issue where the CIF is not given enough time to update all the controllers, but do not have a definitive answer.