S5 remote I/O addressing

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
We have several S5 115U’s with IM308c these are ran to the extensions IM318-c (profibus) I/O’s that have several counter cards and other digital I/O (remote I/O’s)

How are these addressed? On my I/O cards they are listed for example A105.3, this is Q105.3 (in my world), but there is no listing in the PLC, the original programmer did not documented these, I know that they are now flags, in my program it is F156.3

Another example this is the second remote I/O station, E8.0 (or I8.0) is F142.0 but again no documentation no rime or reason.

Is there a set memory that S5 uses or is this defined in the program?

I have search this site and Siemens and went through some of our manuals but no such luck.

Many Thanks

Mark

To find out the addresses assigned to each of the remote I/O hanging off the IM308C, you will need to use Com Profibus and upload the configuration from the IM308C.

It also sounds like the original programmer has copied the I/O to F words in the program somewhere, you will probably have to look for something like:-

L IB0
T FB130

and

L FB150
T QB105

Paul

Thanks, Paul

This is part of seg13 FB 170
 ;Eingaenge lesen 
L PY 204
T FY 131
L PY 205
T FY 130
L PY 206
T FY 133
L PY 207
T FY 132
L PY 208
..... so on and so on

Part of Seg 14 is
 ;Ausgaenge schreiben 
L FY 151
T PY 204
L FY 150
T PY 205
L FY 153
T PY 206
L FY 152
T PY 207
L FY 155
...so on and so on

If I am reading this correct and reading you post correct then I am swapping peripherial bytes with flag bytes and vise versa

If he stays in consecitive order then I should be able to get the first one then address and comments as the prints show (may be), I'm sure glad that the siemens are reliable, going on 10 years, no trouble with the remote I/O's

One more thing (for now) I have never used "Com Profibus" where can I get it?

Thanks again

I saw the post yesterday, but couldn't remember the name of the package, comm profibus.

Its a Siemens package for programming the profibus card, using it you have to plug directly into the profibus card. I would contact Siemens. I recently threw out alot of old floppy's and I have a feeling that comm profibus was one of the floppy's.

Of your load/transfers.

L PY is loading straight from the periphery and these will be the inputs. T PY will be outputs. Unlike S7 where you have PIW and PQW, in S5 the only way you knew whether it was input or output was whether you were loading from or transferring to.

Mark

The latest version (the one I use) is Com Profibus V5.1 SP2 HF3 (5.1.2.3), I would do as Peter suggests and have a word with your Siemens rep, you could probably get away with using V3.3.

A a side note you might find that Com Profibus reports that it is missing a GSD file, usually for the IM308C, the GSD file Com Profibus asks for is SI801CAD.2MH, search for a file named SI801CAX.2MH, copy that and change the name to SI801CAD.2MH, then read that into your library and try again.

Paul

I've found my copy, 5 floppy's, which I have compressed, but at 4M maybe too big to put on this site. Have no idea what version, but is from about 1998/9??

If you want me to email it I will.

Lucky it was there really as I said, I recently threw a lot away.

Like going through time though, old jobs galour.

(just run the startup, my version is 3.3)

Last edited:
PeterW said:
I've found my copy, 5 floppy's, SNIP Have no idea what version, but is from about 1998/9??

I think that will be V3.3

Com ET200 was 1 floppy and I am pretty sure that V3.3 was 5 floppies, I also have that version stashed away somewhere.

Peter

If you sign up for Ron's (rsdoran) forum that you can make use of the FTP part of his site, Mark is also a member there. The address is Click here

Paul

Thanks guys,

This should help, nice find Rolf, the Siemens site has to much info for simple minds such as mine

🍻