ZipLink Module Serial Communication

JZerb

So Im wondering if something is possible with these Zip Link feed through communication modules. If I have one in the control panel, and one out in a remote panel where the HMI is and I’m using it so that the two can communicate, can I plug into the unused port on the Zip Link and connect to the PLC from the remote panel location whilst the HMI is still plugged into the Zip Link as well? Or in order for me to be able to communicate with the PLC from the remote location will I have to unplug the HMI from the Zip Link and then plug my laptop into that port?

RS-232/DF1 is point to point meaning it only supports two devices. What you are wanting to do is supported by a port splitter from A/B part number 1747-DPS1. I have never used it, but I expect that your cable length will be limited to the RS-232 standard of 50 feet between the controllers.

What ZipLink module did you have in mind?

I don't think that will work for you with three nodes connected at once. Using it as a terminal block interface between the PLCs should be fine and make for a professional termination. I think you will find that you need to unplug one PLC in order to connect your laptop to the other. The A/B port splitter has active electronics to enable it to "cheat" the electrical and protocol limitations.

In order to truly network the Micrologix 1200, if you have the budget, look at the Digi One IAP. It is a DF1 compatible serial to ethernet converter. This would allow the use of your PC and other devices like HMIs to all be connected to both PLCs. You would need two of them and they run about $400 each.