IR temp analog input, plc display jumping up and down

DrWeld

Gentlemen, I am using an Omega 5550 temp ir with 4-20 input to plc. Trying to display the temp value has been discouraging. The displayed value is very unsteady. This project requires an operater temp input and when temp is reached the output turns off. Using an ez automation plc with analog card. also using their HMI.I have tried several math progrmming options and can not get a steady value to display. This is critical to the turn off temperature. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.
Thank you

Noise,is the wiring shielded? Define "very unsteady" ( how much is it jumping around. Do you think a filter would help?

With an IR sensor and a moving target, some erratic values are to be expected. I use Raytek sensors which provide very good filtering in their configuration. I would suggest you look into your sensor literature for some options.

Of course, rule out Mickey's ideas too.

Welcome to the forum,
Paul

I thank you all. Wiring was the culprit. I have repaired it and it is fine. Lost ground from device to dc power. Thank you again. Tim