FactoryTalk for multiple PLC?

timcph2008

Hello Guys, I have some questions regarding the ability of Factory Talk ME edition and the Factory Talk Viewpoint.

If I have 2 plc with 2 different HMI applications, I will need 2 runtime for this set up, right?

From the Factory Talk ME, I can only open 1 runtime project at a time? Is this correct?

Here is that I think: If I want to monitor and control 2 panelview on field from control room in the same time, I will need:
1. A server with Factory Talk SE edition and 2 client?
2. 2 different computers with 2 Factory Talk ME?

Also, I am not sure that the viewpoint actually does. If I want to monitor the panelview(s) from the field, do I still need Factory Talk SE or ME? or I can use viewpoint to overcome it?

Let me know if you understand the situation. Thank you so much for your help!

The best workaround for this is to create one runtime which connects to both PLCs and simply use different screens. That way you don't need 2 of them.

However, if you do separate them, you do need to create 2 runtime files. You are correct in the statement that you can run only one at one time, but you can load multiple into the HMI.

2. You can't use FTView SE with ME terminals. You'd essentially need to buy a server which has FTView SE Server and terminals which have FTView SE Client running on them. This option is expensive and isn't recommended unless you plan to manage at least 10 terminals through SE.

I'm not sure what viewpoint is either.

Vlad

The best workaround for this is to create one runtime which connects to both PLCs and simply use different screens. That way you don't need 2 of them.

However, if you do separate them, you do need to create 2 runtime files. You are correct in the statement that you can run only one at one time, but you can load multiple into the HMI.

2. You can't use FTView SE with ME terminals. You'd essentially need to buy a server which has FTView SE Server and terminals which have FTView SE Client running on them. This option is expensive and isn't recommended unless you plan to manage at least 10 terminals through SE.

I'm not sure what viewpoint is either.

Vlad

Thank you for your answer, and I try to search Viewpoint, but seems not much people using it.

But I am thinking that, for the viewpoint in ME edition, the panelview act as the server, and other device and computer connect to the server through web browser. It seems that we should be able to access to both of the HMI application within 1 computer.

But I saw this from the manual:

"FactoryTalk ViewPoint for Machine Edition is limited to one connected session with one web browser window or tab. "

I am not sure as this point....

You can definitely put both PLC's and HMI's in one program and just use user access when you install the screen to determine which screen the operator uses.

As far as viewpoint goes i would stay away from it because you can use the VNC server setup that the PV's have built into them which allows you to be able to connect to the actual PV and use all of its functions unlike viewpoint.

Basically all you do, is setup the VNC server on the panelview and put a password on it and then download a free VNC viewer to connect to that PV IP address and your good to go. Link for VNC setup is below.

Obviously, you need to figure out how your going to handle the safety and security of someone being out of sight of the machine and being able to start/control it remotely.

http://theautomationblog.com/remotely-controlling-your-a-b-pvplus-using-vnc/