Replacing Batteries

SpecialK87

I have to replace batteries in multiple types of processors. Maybe this is a stupid question but do I need to remove power from the processor before replacing the battery? I have:

ControlLogix 1756-L61
CompactLogix 1769-L35e
MicroLogix 1100
SLC 5/05

I'm gone say yes, you will have to kill power for the controllers that have batteries.

Not sure that the ML1100 or the CompactLogix has a battery.
Be sure to do an upload and do a save as before killing power to replace the battery.

Batteries can be purchased here...
https://www.plccable.com/plc-cpu-batteries/

HTH

Thanks Bob!

SpecialK87, I would recommend first backing up the program then powering down and replacing them, the L61 uses a 1756-BA1 (A) or BA2 (B) depending what series it is, the 5/05 and L35 both use the 1747-BA/1769-BA (same battery) and the 1100 uses a 1763-BA

I got the Power!...

SpecialK87 said:
I have to replace batteries in multiple types of processors. Maybe this is a stupid question but do I need to remove power from the processor before replacing the battery? I have:

ControlLogix 1756-L61
CompactLogix 1769-L35e
MicroLogix 1100
SLC 5/05

ControlLogix L6x controllers:-

The official battery to use (1756-BA1 or -BA2) depends on which Series L6 controller you have...

36330 - Replacement Battery Options for 1756-L6x Processors
Access Level: TechConnect

The battery for any of the ControlLogix controllers may be fitted or replaced while the controller is powered ON...

44418 - ControlLogix: Battery replacement Guideline

CompactLogix 1769 L3 controllers:-

You may also fit or replace the 1769-BA battery to the CompactLogix L3 controllers while powered ON...

38754 - Installing/replacing a 1769-BA battery in a CompactLogix controller

NOTE: The technote officially states that the 1747-BA is a different battery to the CompactLogix 1769-BA and may damage the CompactLogix processor - OK Rockwell? :ROFLMAO:

MicroLogix 1100 controllers:-

I do not have a specific technote to link to for the MicroLogix 1100 controller, and while the battery installation instructions in the User Manual do not mentioned the power status while replacing the 1763-BA battery, I do know that you may also fit or replace the battery while the controller is powered ON. The same can be said for the 1747-BA battery for the MicroLogix 1400, for which I do have a technote to link to and where you are advised to replace the battery while the controller is powered ON, so as not to lose the program in memory...

470370 - Battery Information on the MicroLogix 1400 controller

SLC 5/05 controller:-

The original SLC 5/01 and 5/02 controllers have their battery compartment under the front cover and above the communications port. As the battery is accessible without removing the SLC processor module from the chassis, the 1747-BA battery may be removed or replaced while the controller is powered ON.

For the SLC 5/03, 5/04 and 5/05 controllers, there was a second communications port added to the module under the front cover. As a result, the battery compartment was moved to the side of the module's printed circuit board. This now means that to access the battery, the module must be removed from the chassis. Which also means that the controller must be powered OFF before removal. To be clear though, the only reason you must power these controllers OFF before fitting or replacing the battery is because of the physical restriction of the new battery compartment position. If there was still a way to access the battery on the side of the PCB without removing the module from the chassis, then fitting or replacing these batteries with the controller powered ON would still be possible.

To facilitate the removal of power while replacing a low battery in the SLC 5/03, 5/04 or 5/05 controllers, a 30 minute capacitor is provided to retain the program in memory...

39773 - SLC 5/01-5/05: Battery Replacement Procedure
Access Level: Everyone

For most all Allen Bradley controllers, where there is a readily accessible and replaceable battery, you are recommended to fit or replace them while the controller is powered ON. This way the controller is less likely to lose its program in memory while the battery is removed. When powered ON, we must remember that the battery is not holding the program in memory, so it is permitted to replace them while powered ON.

Interesting to read above how Rockwell tell us not to use a 1747-BA in a CompactLogix controller which "must" use a 1769-BA?

The specifications for the official, and quite expensive, 1747-BA, 1763-BA and 1769-BA batteries are identical and, in fact, they are all the very same part number: SANYO P/N CR14250SE

56602 - 1747-BA, 1763-BA and 1769-BA batteries capacity

...&...

(NOTE: The below link directly downloads a WORD document, but it's safe)

16458 - All Product Battery Data and Cross-Reference

Boo Rockwell...Go Mark!!

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Likewise here Mark. But I'm just stripping my teeth at them. I'm not biting the hand that "feeds"!

G.

excellent information from George - but here's a small (but important) warning about replacing the battery on the SLC-5/05 ...

yes, it SHOULD work OK - but personally, I wouldn't bet the rent on that "capacitor" feature ... take a look at the following post (and the one just after it for some details) ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=742700&postcount=9

just make sure that you have a CURRENT backup copy of the program file before working on ANY of these ...

Bob O said:
...Be sure to do an upload and do a save as before killing power to replace the battery...

geniusintraining said:
...I would recommend first backing up the program then powering down and replacing them...

Ron Beaufort said:
...just make sure that you have a CURRENT backup copy of the program file before working on ANY of these ...

Yep, all good Ron. The guys had covered that fairly well so I didn't feel it necessary to reiterate it as I had enough to type! But the more the merrier and it hurts none to also point out how or why that capacitor's biceps might not be up to the "holding" challenge come time to perform.

G.

One thing I ran into recently on an older Cleaver Brooks panel with a CompactLogix, was a custom made battery extension cable. The battery was mounted to a plastic clip on the inside of the panel instead of inside the endcap (which is always a pain to plug in and slide back into place).
Thought it was a pretty good solution, especially when there's no clearance to the left of the processor.

One thing I ran into recently on an older Cleaver Brooks panel with a CompactLogix, was a custom made battery extension cable. The battery was mounted to a plastic clip on the inside of the panel instead of inside the endcap (which is always a pain to plug in and slide back into place).
Thought it was a pretty good solution, especially when there's no clearance to the left of the processor.

I worked on a SLC that the customer cut the connector off an old battery and extended the wires to a battery holder they put on top of the rack. Worked nice and so I replicated it on my home control PLC's. (not sure if I would do that on a customers machine)

I learned today that I don't really know about replacing batteries.

Thanks Geospark for the detailed reply.