IMC-120 servo system

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a machine with an IMC-120 servo system that we need to try to get up and running. We're machine resellers; we'll give it a fair shot to get it up and running using the existing controls. If that's not possible in a reasonable amount of time and expense or the customer insists, we'll swap out the control system for modern hardware.

The IMC-120 module (1771-HSN) has a red System LED on. The IMC-120 installation manual (1771-6.5.45) says it "indicates module faults detected by software (i.e. PLC communications fault, memory error, broken wire, lithium battery too low etc.)" Does anyone have any further insight to offer? As I mentioned on another thread...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=118685

...the PLC5/10 had lost its program so we typed in a paper listing of the program and it included a JSR to U:3 but we don't have a listing for the U:3 subroutine. I assume that held the code for controlling the IMC-120 (among other things). Is this the likely cause of the red System LED?

It seems I need AB's ODS offline development software to program the module. Does anyone know if this is available anywhere?

For completeness, the system also comprises a 1771-HT termination panel and a 1391B-AA22 servo drive.

It's probably both; the PLC-5 is not sending configuration blocks to the IMC-120 module, and the IMC-120 has probably lost its program.

Get a lithium battery for the IMC-120:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/tadiran-batteries/TL-5134-P/439-1023-ND/512525

You'll need a DOS or Win 95/98 computer to run ODS. It's available as diskette images from the Rockwell knowledgebase:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/455679

There's a "modern" DF1 driver on the Knowledgebase as well: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43678

I've been able to recover a .IB1 file from a floppy disk that was with this machine. Its filename includes the machine model type so I believe it's relevant.

When I open it in Notepad, I get:

"ICOM BACKUP File (c) 1991-99 RSI. PLC-5 version:v8.07  TCC45_LF C:\PLC5\PROGS\ "

I tried opening it in RS Logix 5 and it restored some files, although I got the following message:

"IMPORTING AI NATIVE DATABASE

ERROR unable to REBUILD the Source database - Database file is corrupt (C:\USERS\MYPC\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\DBB05076.dsc)."

These are the files it restored:

TCC45_LF.adr
TCC45_LF.att
TCC45_LF.cfg
TCC45_LF.dsc
TCC45_LF.prf
TCC45_LF.rpd
TCC45_LF.rpi
TCC45_LF.sym
TCC45_LF.x5
TCC45_LF.xrf
TCC45_LF.xri

I opened the .X5 file in RS Logix 5 and it opened up the program, including the missing U:3 file. This file is named "IMC" and includes BTR & BTW instructions for reading and writing to the servo module.

I downloaded the program but the 1771-HSN module's System LED is still on. The BTR instruction is being executed (I can see its EN & DN bits going on and off) but the BTW isn't (I duplicated the rung and replaced the BTW instruction with a counter), although its DN bit is on but not its EN bit.

At the moment, I'm trying to get the MCR on to try to move stuff other than the servomotor. Am I right to think that the 1771-HSN won't allow the MCR (via the 1771-HT) to be energized while the System LED is illuminated?

I've got the ODS software downloaded and installed on an XP machine in Win95 compatibility mode. It appears to run okay but when I press F3 then U to select the Upload application, followed by F4 and either A or M (to get the AMP parameters or the MML programs), I get the message 'Unable to access the DF1 driver'.

I did a search for df1drv.sys and found a copy in C:\. The file is dated 2/24/1995 and when I open it in Notepad, the first 2 lines say:

IMCDF1
DF1 DEVICE DRIVER 2.3 (02/28/92) (along with a few hieroglyphics)

So I added the line:

device=%SystemRoot%\df1drv.sys

to the CONFIG.NT file in the \Windows\System32 folder of the XP machine, but I still get the same message, 'Unable to access the DF1 driver'.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to download the df1drv.sys from the KnowledgeBase that Ken referenced in his reply? I'm currently trying this from my desk, with no serial connection to the IMC120 but I wouldn't have thought that's a factor yet.

I tried connecting to the IMC120 module but, as expected, not being connected wasn't the cause of the 'Unable to access DF1 driver' error.

Despite what my previous post said, I had the DF1DRV.SYS file in both the C:\ and C:\Windows\System32 locations. However, when I changed the CONFIG.NT entry to

DEVICE=%SystemRoot%\system32\DF1DRV.SYS

the 'Unable to access DF1 driver' error went away. I didn't get any signs of communication though - no flashing LEDs on either the IMC120 module or my USB-serial converter and eventually, I got a timeout error.

I've now downloaded the KnowledgeBase version of the DF1DRV.SYS driver that Ken referred to above and will give that a try. Viewing it in Notepad reveals that it's version 3.2 and dated 8/6/98 (as opposed to v2.3 and 2/28/92). The tech note had this to say:

"Answer

If your [sic] getting timeouts using an old copy of ODS most commonly using either a Windows 95 or Windows 98 personal computer (PC);
the speed of the the [sic] PC is faster than the original release of ODS used before on a Windows 3.x PC.

Newer revisions of the DF1 driver for ODS eliminated the speed of the PC to determine speed of the handshake during communication. This newer driver is included as an attachment. The instructions to use the updated driver are included as the READ2.ME.TXT attachment."

This is what the READ2.ME.TXT file says:

"A preliminary DF1 driver fix resides on this diskette. It is Not the final solution to the "A timeout occurred" problem on AMP and PAL uploads with fast computers (i.e. 486), but can suffice until the next scheduled maintainance [sic] release of ODS. Please perform the following DOS instructions to get the "fixed" DF1DRV.SYS.

1. cd to root directory. "CD \"
2. keep a copy of the old DF1DRV.SYS "RENAME DF1DRV.SYS DF1DRV.OLD
3. copy new DF1DRV.SYS from diskette to hard drive "COPY A:DF1DRV.SYS C:" [Excuse the smiley - "COPY AcolonDF1DRV.SYS C:"]
4. reboot the computer using the "3-key salute" or cycle power "<CTRL><ALT><DEL>" or cycle power

Best Regards

Allen-Bradley
GMC Engineering
Highland Heights"

So I'm hopeful that this will get me a little further although I'm still fairly certain that the IMC120 has lost its program.

Last edited:
Still no luck :(

Still getting timeout errors and no flashing LEDs. I tried 1747-CP3 and 2711-NC13 cables connected in both directions. One of these should work, I believe? I'm a bit stuck now. I guess I could try to find an older (than XP) PC.

I tried mounting the ODS software in DOSBox 0.72 but I just get a green flashing message saying Loading ODS... but the interface never appears.

I could try writing a simple program to see if I can download, I suppose. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Are you using a USB serial adapter or a 'real' RS232 port?
By my memory, ODS was old long before USB ports came out.

Yes, I'm using a USB-serial converter. That shouldn't necessarily preclude ODS from communicating though, should it? I realize it may - perhaps I'll try to find a PC with a real serial port :)