FactoryTalk Directory Cache expired

NemanjaN

Hello all!

I have a problem with Factory Talk log in. Information that I get in the notification icon is that the cache has expired, and I can't access any Rockwell application.

The bigger problem is that I can't re-log on, because I can't select any of the directories (everything is blank).

The licence is ok, everything is connected, but I don't know what the actual problem is.
Does anyone have any idea what should be the solution to this and why does this happen?

Thanks!

Hi,

NemanjaN said:
...Information that I get in the notification icon is that the cache has expired...I don't know what the actual problem is.
Does anyone have any idea what should be the solution to this and why does this happen?...

Based on what I know...

The FactoryTalk Directory cache is a stored copy of the HMI Server data for each Network Directory application. If a connection is lost to The FactoryTalk Network Directory, or if FactoryTalk Directory is in error, you can still open and work on an application, but it will be referencing the data in the cache instead of the live Directory.

The cache is only stored and deemed valid for a specific period, after an application has been closed, before it will expire. This cache expiration period is user configurable in the FactoryTalk Administration Console. If set to a value of zero "0", the cache expiration is disabled and it will remain valid indefinitely.

If you are getting cache expired errors, it is most likely because the configured FactoryTalk Network Directory is currently unavailable, for whatever reason, and when attempting to fall back on the cached copy of the data for the application you are trying to access, it has already expired.

So basically, your issue here, I think, is more related to the fact that the FactoryTalk Directory configuration is currently not valid or active, and the cache expiration error is only a symptom, or indicator of this.

I actually received a "CACHE EXPIRED" warning myself a couple of weeks ago in a popup "FactoryTalk Directory Information" balloon message on the taskbar. This happened in the middle of installing Studio 5000 v30. Because it was updating the FactoryTalk Services Platform, which includes FactoryTalk Directory, the services were temporarily stopped. The taskbar applet reported the status as gone from "CONNECTED" to "CACHE EXPIRED". Once the installation was finished, and I had restarted the workstation, the status reported back as "CONNECTED" again.

What is your FactoryTalk Directory setup? Are you using only Local or Network, or both? What is the computer's role in FactoryTalk that you are receiving this error on...

Development workstation?
FactoryTalk Server computer?
FactoryTalk Client computer?
FactoryTalk Local computer? (Standalone)

Was anything changed, upgraded or uninstalled before this happened?

This technote makes reference to receiving the "cache expired" error...

731884 - FactoryTalk View ME : Login Failure for Application [Tagsrv.exe] on directory [Global]
Access Level: TechConnect

I would probably start with trying to repair the FactoryTalk Directory, but a little more insight into your setup would better help decide which route to take first.

Regards,
George

Thank you very much for your reply!

The problem was with VM coping. Someone copy the open VM to my hard disc, and that local directories maybe remained open.

Thank you for your answer again, it will be very helpful for someone that have same problem.

BR

Reviving an ancient thread, I know... I have a similar issue. My terminal server gets periodically disconnected from FactoryTalk Directory, with error message "Cache times out in: EXPIRED". All the others servers stay connected. The interesting thing is that the disconnection usually coincides with the startup of a service which creates a clone of the server VM. This sounds suspiciously like Nemanja's problem? Nemanja, what did you do to fix the problem? Did you just stop copying the open VM?

Reviving an ancient thread, I know... I have a similar issue. My terminal server gets periodically disconnected from FactoryTalk Directory, with error message "Cache times out in: EXPIRED". All the others servers stay connected. The interesting thing is that the disconnection usually coincides with the startup of a service which creates a clone of the server VM. This sounds suspiciously like Nemanja's problem? Nemanja, what did you do to fix the problem? Did you just stop copying the open VM?
Hello Shane
I have a similar issue - did you resolve yours?