1747-UIC communication problems

Wheresmy10mm

Hey all, first time posting. I have gotten a lot of great info from all of you in the past. I have searched the forums and google as much as possible and I still cannot connect to any processor with our 1747-UIC cable. It has worked in the past, using both the DH 485 UIC driver and the RS232 DF1 driver. We don't use this cable much, except when connecting to SLC 500 that only have an RJ45 port. At the moment, I am trying to connect to a 1747-L20C, using a Windows XP machine with RSLinx 3.73 and a Black generic 1747-UIC cable. I've made sure the laptops's com port properties are correct. When configuring using the Rs232 DF1 driver: Com port 6, (same as laptop), SLC CHO/Micro/Panelview (also tried 1770-KF3/1747-KE), baud rate 19200, Parity even, Error Checking CRC, Stop Bits 1, Full Duplex. Hit OK (Not Auto config). And then Node 0 found, node 1 not found. I updated Linx from 2.59 to 3.73, deleted the Harmony Files, and triple checked com port properties. For troubleshooting's sake I've tried to connect to a 1747-L20L and an SLC 5/03, with no luck. We have another cable that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but does anyone have any input. I'd be happy to provide any other info needed. Thanks

RS485. At this point, it has to be the cable. (Or me, and I don't want to admit it's me, hehe). I know these generic cables can go bad and aren't as reliable as OEM. But, I have a new one coming today, so I'll know then. I'll post an update. Thanks

I know these generic cables can go bad and aren't as reliable as OEM.

It depends on who the supplier is and how they make them, we offer a lifetime guarantee and over the past 13 years have only had a handful of cables fail... and we have sold a lot of them not just the UIC but all our cables, if you bought it from us let me know and I will look up the order and get you another one....

Let us know either way

Mark

Hey Mark,
Doesn't the RJ45 at the PLC supply power to the UIC?

I've only used one, maybe 3-4 times in the past 8 years or so, but I remember I could never get it to work unless I plugged the RJ45 into the PLC first, THEN, the USB into the PC. Windoz had to do it's thing to get the driver to work.

The PLC has 24vdc on the RJ45, this was used to power up the old handhelds and I think the old AIC's, we use the USB port for power 5vdc and this is why when someone plugs in a Ethernet cable and than straight to their PC it will let out the magical smoke

But you are right, you need to plug in the cable then start RSLinx or the driver will error out and you will need to stop it then restart Linx

The PLC has 24vdc on the RJ45, this was used to power up the old handhelds and I think the old AIC's, we use the USB port for power 5vdc and this is why when someone plugs in a Ethernet cable and than straight to their PC it will let out the magical smoke

But you are right, you need to plug in the cable then start RSLinx or the driver will error out and you will need to stop it then restart Linx

I remember a guy at a local factory that needed to mess with an L40. He had the proper UIC and all, but only looked at the RJ45 on the PLC end, then thought to himself...

Plugged a straight Ethernet patch cable from the PLC to his Network port on his PC. Yep, smoke!

I had a chat with him after that... He asked, what is an Ethernet port?

I really can understand that tho. No real clue as to what is going on... collecting a paycheck from a dismal job. A lot of places just hire live bodies to fill voids.

Well, I received a new UIC cable and drivers and was able to connect just fine. I believe the switch was damaged on the old cable, probably from people using sharp objects to move it. I appreciate all your help.
Mark, we will be ordering more cables in the near future and I will keep you in mind.
Thanks all.