Explosion and fire.... son of a )!(*&#

One good thing about living here is electronics with batteries get stolen long before they get defective :)

I watched a really cool Nova about Lithium Ion batteries where they talked about why old ones fail. Over time, you get a build up between the cathode and anode from the ions going back and forth that causes a short. Pretty interesting new technology being churned out to compensate for that.

something to think about ...

this is an old thread - but I couldn't help posting this recent news article ... I insisted that my little wife watch the video - read the article - and then we had a refresher course on the use of the household fire extinguisher ...

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/hoverboard-explodes-utah-home-video

personally I have the opinion that battery operated devices should automatically "time" their own charging cycles - but maybe that's just me ...

stay safe - stay well ...

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 proved that on-brands can be dangerous to..

When the Samsung's were going off like IED's I had to fly on a service call.

Guy behind me kept arguing his wasn't a Note 7, but they weren't letting ANY Samsung's on planes at the time.

Plus on a Chinese plane only 1 Lithium battery not in a phone or laptop was allowed and it was limited to 1000mah - lost a rechargeable flashlight battery & a battery bank.

this is an old thread - but I couldn't help posting this recent news article ..

Had a boss ask me to repair a charger for his kids hoverboard. I asked him if he ever watched the news or YouTube and suggested he buy his kid something safer - like a motorcycle

Last edited:
Think about al the EV cars on the road there have been many reports of them catching fire
just recentlt there was Tesla exploded while beenin driven the drive just managed to escape with his life. You can only expect it to get worse as mor and more Lithuim batteries age out
Tesls only warrenties the batteries for 3 yeaars and don't allow repairs
it make you wonder it's like driving around sitting on a bomb

Instead of arguing about the frequency or severity of gasoline vehicle fires versus EVs (roughly 11x less likely to have a fire), or their service life (the warranty is 8 years) I will instead say that if Gary visits Seattle, I will deliver my usual sermon on Teslas: "Get in."

I've fought two shipboard battery fires: one ordinary deep-cycle lead acid short circuit, and one from a hacked-together scooter charger that exploded it's Li-Ion pack. The latter gives me an easy answer to "when in your life were you the most frightened".

Ken I would welcome that conversation but I will never go to Seattle and I really doubt you will ever come to Lancaster, but you have spoken like a true believer.

Having said that I just saw a report on repairing the Tesla batteries ( I wanted to learn something )
Since them I have followed up on other reports all leave a lot of questions unanswered.
Tesla lowered the factory warranty to just 3 years and do not allow any of their service centers to repair batteries at all only replace them the average cost for a replacement in about $20,000
As for the fires there have been fires in all motor vehicles since they have been on the road.
But the ratio of fires on liquid fuels vehicles and fires in EV’s the liquid fuel have a much better ration and the fire fighters know how to handle them.
Fire departments are routinely ordered not to extinguish EV fires but to just let them burn out because it just too dangerous to fight them. Large fire departments are now trying to train their people on how to safely disconnect the batteries but that is not going very well because every manufacture has their own connection and different models have even different connections so almost every fire they run into is a different learning experience.
And then there is cost to dispose of the unusable batteries in mow place in the us it is illegal to dispose of any lithium battery even the AAA cell in the normal trash, you are required to take them to a designated disposal site and some of those charge a hefty fee. I know that one problem the run into with then at incinerators is they explode when incinerated.
We have a lot of things to work out before EV’s can becomes mainstream.
I works with an engineer some years back he preordered 2 Chevy Volts even though both left him set 3 times in the first 6 months he was still a strong supporter.
I live about 5 mile from an newly built Amazon distribution center they have well over 100 new dodge delivery vans not s single EV and yet they never travel more than 50 a day an ideal application for an EV.
In fact all the major delivery companies combined have very few EV in actual use the US postal service just ordered a fleet upgrade and EV were not even considered.
It s a technology that is just not ready for general use yet there at other technologies that have been long proven to better but are discouraged for whatever reason. And let’s not even go to the autonomous vehicles on the road they are already involved in accidents and killing people but for some reason the most media dose not report on it. The true facts and true costs are blocked from the general public. And then let’s not forget that lithium is a toxic metal that will remain in the environment for ever.
I am not opposed to new technology or automation, I have worked in this industry for many years long before most of you were around. But safety must be the highest priority but it is not in that industry Being first with the dog and pony show takes priority over everything else including safety.

I'd be interested to read the "letters to the editor" from the early 1900s when horses started replacing cars.

With any fundamental change, there will come problems. With the switch to cars, the problem became carbon monoxide, a thirst for fossil fuels, drink driving and a rapid increase in fatalities from people commuting (that came later).

Yes, lithium batteries are set to be the next environmental challenge we have to deal with. But, deal with it we will. Electric cars are the future; the energy storage mechanism remains a problem.

Humans are very good at solving problems when they get big enough, and when there's money in solving them.

Give it some time, it'll happen.

I just had to respond to Saffa comment Drunk Driving
Where I live every few years we hear of a case of operating a horse and buggy while drunk
so drunk driveing is not isolated to cars
and their are many alturnatives to Lithium batteries but that techology is blocked from beeing advanced we should explore all technologies and welcome all advances

I just had to respond to Saffa comment Drunk Driving
Where I live every few years we hear of a case of operating a horse and buggy while drunk
so drunk driveing is not isolated to cars

As long as the Horse isn't also drunk, I feel like this is a much safer option!!!

🍻

and their are many alturnatives to Lithium batteries but that techology is blocked from beeing advanced
With all due respect GaryS, that sounds like conspiracy theory 101. Similar to the 100 MPG carburetor that big oil kept off the market.

Just one example of an alternative, GE spent hundreds of millions trying to scale up production of sodium battery technology and failed. The batteries never met expectations. Eventually they stopped selling them, produced enough batteries to satisfy warranty claims, and pulled the plug on the entire project.

Wow... my laptop battery blew up and caught fire and now we are talking about cars, OK thats fine by me.

The only reason they talk about the Tesla fires is thats the only bad thing that they can say... do they talk about the thousands of Tesla's that are on the road and running safe in comparison to compression? first horse and buggy, then steam, then combustion and now electric and another 40 years form now it will be something else, wish I could see what it is.

Trust me I still love to pull up to a Tesla and rev my motor, there is something to be said when you hear that blower and hp, makes me smile every time :D and I can beat or keep up with most of them.

This was a few months back, the tires were to cold to really get in the gas https://ring.com/share/4ab23786-b1aa-418f-87dc-c6d47e7eabd4