S7-400 DIRECT to Rockwell

Can you expand a bit further? Rockwell has a Profibus card so it's not like it was impossible before, just that you'd need specific hardware.

Do you mean Rockwell can now have a TCP or UDP connection that can be configured so that it can get not only data from Siemens CPU but also from any computer that supports IP?

Yes - its the Siemens S7 transmitting and receiving data from Control Logix over TCPIP. As you mentioned we previously had to use the Prosoft Unit to convert the signals but apparently the S7-300 and (possibly the S7-400) can now recognise the format directly or indeed any other as you suggest. It was just a rumour - can't see any official press release or anything - I guess Prosoft wouldn't be too happy !

There have been some previous threads about exchanging data via TCP/IP sockets.
In Siemens, you setup "send/receive" blocks via "open communication" blocks (to use Siemens lingo).
In ControlLogix you need a communication processor that gives access to sockets. I believe it is the socalled EWEB processor.
I think it can be done, but not for the uninitiated.

Alternatively, exchange data via Modbus TCP. For Siemens you have to purchase special library blocks. Notice that the library blocks for an ethernet expansion module are much more expensive than the same blocks used for an integrated ethernet port.

So if the idea is to save money by not having to use a 3rd party gateway, you may be disappointed.

Check out this link from the Siemens support base.

Essentially - yes, it's possible, with certain Siemens PLC's and certain AB PLC's. It's not massively straightforward, but doable.

I've never done it - still waiting for a chance to try it out, and even if the application comes up, it'll still be a tossup as to whether it's cheaper to buy some off-the-shelf hardware and get it done in a few hours, or save on the hardware but use a lot more billable hours making it work programmatically. Which I guess is the same call you have to make here. If you're in a site maintenance/engineer type role where you're being paid an 8 hour day regardless of what you do, maybe it's worth your while. If you're being paid by the hour to make it work - well, it still might be, but it's not a sure bet.

The other thing to take into account is support down the track. A prosoft unit (or other brand gateway) is at least a fairly obvious, straightforward solution that anyone with exposure to that sort of thing can manage after you've shot through. Doing it programmatically may make that more difficult.

I used a Prosoft Ethernet/IP to Profibus DP Slave PST5205DFNTPDPS to talk between a S7 and a SLC505.

Simple, quick to install and commission, and while not necessarily cheap.. it was cheaper than me trying to do something outside of this box.

Could you do it by means of an OPC server with two connections and copying data from source to destination using an "on change" event?

I've done this before in an HMI to copy limited data from one PLC to another on separate networks but they were both S7.

Nick

One could have an OPC DA client do that. But that would mean that there has to be a PC somewhere. So no "direct" connection.

With OPC UA there is the potential that PLCs communicate directly with each other with no PC software having to be in the loop. Thus, all PLCs should be able to be OPC UA servers and clients. But the various vendors are not close to be able to do that.
All S7-1500 PLCs can be OPC UA servers.
For S7-400 there is an Ethernet expansion module (6GK7443-1UX00-0XE0) that can be an OPC UA server.
But that means the other end, in this case the ControlLogix would have to be an OPC UA client. Is that possible ?

ASF said:
Check out this link from the Siemens support base.

Essentially - yes, it's possible, with certain Siemens PLC's and certain AB PLC's. It's not massively straightforward, but doable.
Just note that this solution will work with S7-1200/1500, not with the S7-300/400. And the OP seems to have an S7-400.
I have looked into the Siemens document.
The solution is based on the "open communications" blocks, aka T-blocks on the Siemens side. This means that it is possible also with S7-300 and S7-400, as well as S7-1500. But to implement the solution in S7-300/400 will require some effort since there is no direct guide to follow.

On the ControlLogix side, either en EN2T or EWEB must be present.

I have looked into the Siemens document.
The solution is based on the "open communications" blocks, aka T-blocks on the Siemens side. This means that it is possible also with S7-300 and S7-400, as well as S7-1500. But to implement the solution in S7-300/400 will require some effort since there is no direct guide to follow.

Thanks for checking into that - I don't know enough Siemens magic to work out the fine detail from that end :)

Given all of that, I'd be straight on the phone to my Prosoft distributor without wasting any more time - but again, depends on your situation.

On the ControlLogix side, either en EN2T or EWEB must be present.
A newer Compact Logix will work as well - the 5370 series all supports open socket connections, and I would presume that the 5380 series does as well. OP is using a ControlLogix, so not applicable to him/her, but worth a note for the benefit of future readers (p.s. welcome! How's the future?)