Remote Transmitter I/O

tjmurf

What hardware is available to bring a remote level transmitter's (4-20) over Ethernet back to the PLC I/O cabinet, then convert back to (4-20) for the local I/O?
This will allow the Ethernet connection to be used without actually being connected to the control network. ( this may be a concern)

PLC is a SLC-5/05, forgoing the above scenario. What module could the PLC talk directly to? I think the transmitter may have MODBUS, not MB/TCP IP

you could use a prosoft module or a red lion datastation.

datatstation would be cheapest and easiest option

Last edited:
If you don't know exactly what you have (I think the level transmitter has Modbus?) it's hard to help you.

Given that you're starting with 4-20mA and asking for 4-20mA at the SLC, then consider

1) BannerEngineering wireless radios that have a Premapped (PM) version which has 4-20mA in/4-20mA out. AI 1 is premapped to AO1. If the radios connect, you're golden. I know it works because I've used it.

And you don't have to figure out Modbus or Ethernet protocols.

2) Acromag I2O technology

I've never used it but the spec sheet says it takes 4-20mA on one end, communicates over Ethernet and outputs 4-20mA on the other end.

spec sheet: https://www.acromag.com/sites/default/files/Ethernet%20IO%20i2o%20Technology.pdf

input_on_one_side_output_on_the_other_side.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Friends
I used ML1400 with 4CH AI and 5.8GHZ Access point to another ML1400 via Ethernet and MSG order to read Analog data from far transmitters

I recently did this with two Click PLCs, analog add on cards and a couple of Ubiquiti NanoStations to send a signal about 1/2 mile. The hardware including a box for one site was under $700.

DanW look at those premade Banner enclosures. They are the PM kits bound and ready to go. You have to provide 120 VAC and connect your I/O.