Micro850 Modbus Programming

I have a Allen Bradley Micro850 that was supposed to be able to communicate with ethernet to my PARKER SSD 690+ Ethernet Board. (Does this quite well in Controllogix L23 Platform). Anyway spent a day looking at this with Ethernet and decided to try Modbus TCP as the Ethernet Module is able to communicate Via both Ethernet and Modbus TCP (The device is an HMS Ethernet card).
I have attached what the manufacturer has provided and I am not sure if I am missing something here. Anyone well versed in the Micro850 and is able to help ??

I have the current file but my zip upload is pegged at <400 The file is 600Kb [email protected] I can send you the file if that would help.

not certain with the 850
here is my 850 guess and a working 830 v2 setup

850map.JPG 830mod.JPG

Ok I added all the Holding Modbus registers to the Modbus Mapping. 40100 - 40110 and 40150 - 40154 as "Parker SSD" manual.

When I look at the PLC "code" it asks for an instruction : MSG_MODBUS2 (see attached). This sample code is where I get lost

I have used the VISILOGIC E/net setup - it needed the winsock setup for access to the E/net port
- again I have not used the 850

This is one of the serial Modbus GLOBAL VAR. direct to the program
for the 830 = no MSG command needed
I Hope this helps

ser_MOD.JPG

Provided that the Modbus registers are pre defined at the controller level ?

Sorry not sure
I had to add the Modbus setup for a HMI at site. As I said this is version 2 not V4
And the 850 did not exist then
See how you go.

Follow Up Modbus IP/TCP

Got my Modnus TCP working.

1. Check IP address: The device address was wrong. Did not see that until later but it still did not work once I had it corrected.

2. Check Vendors information: The information I had was old it was for a Modicon PLC and utilized a Modicon Instruction which does some other things that are not well explained. I found more recent information from Parker for a different device (TS8000) This explained there registers to the 690+ drive.

3. I found a great document at the AB web site and followed the example on how to read from the device. Once the read was working I changed the focus on the writing. Just had to change the start address on the drive as the example reads and writes to the same PLC register.

4. Amazingly this works really well and completes my task, to read and write over an Ethernet Cat5 Cable to a remote drive.

5. Once I had the Read/ Write done I invited my salesman over and asked him to bring the Component 4" Panelview. We worked on a couple of registers and we quickly had a running Touchscreen that allowed values to be changed and read in the 690+ drive.

For those people who are thinking so what....​
Parker/SSD has had a "LINK" monopoly for some time now and the software cost is around $ 5000.00 the Hardware gets even more ridiculous. And the product is being phased out. So take a $ 10,000.00 hardware based system, swap out some 6053/6055 ENET cards and add a Micro850 + a 4 - 6" Touchscreen and your replacement material cost is around $ 4000.00

.....Best of all the SOFTWARE is FREE.🍺

Ronny I thought the LINK was only available for sale after you went to their school.
Glad you got it working. I did some 690+ on RTU years ago. Less then fun.

It is now being released without customers having to take the "special course" please note you would also be on your own as you would not be entitled to assistance from Parker / SSD.

Replacing LINK Systems

Its been a couple of years since i wrote in this topic. LINK2 is now out and original LINK is in obsolescence. I have replaced several LINK systems with the Micro 800 series PLC and swore I will never do this again. The Newer Compactlogix PLC's sell for around 1500 Canadian dollars including 16 in and 16 out with Point I/O Ethernet ports etc. The reason i am now thinking no thank you to the 800 series PLC is that I am getting old and I like online programming, I hate stopping the process and downloading a modification to the PLC. It is all about time and the programming environment. What I cant stand is some of Rockwell processors cannot be upgraded to the latest firmware.

I very strongly dislike the Micro800 family. Yes you are supposed to be able to do online edits with them.........

A compactlogix L16 is dirt cheap for what you get out of them.