plc to exel

roy

R
Hi, i am mew to plcs, would somebody please fill me in on how to get data from a direct 05 plc into an exel program. data consists of temp and water flow.

If you have RSLinx it will also allow you to receive the data. You must configure the topic for your PLC5 in linx, then cut a DDE link with the appropriate adresses from the plc the paste the DDE link in Excel.

Please help
What is Rslinx and where do I find more info on it?

Thanking in advance.

RSLinx is the communications software for the Allen Bradley product line. It won't be of any help to you for communicating with your DL05. Kmitch apparently got PLC5 and DL05 mixed up.

Having said that, it might be possible to set up Modbus communications with a DL05 using RSLinx. I don't know for certain if that's an option, or if RSLinx is limited to AB's proprietary protocols.

Here's where to start for additional information on RSLinx.

http://www.software.rockwell.com/rslinx/

Automation Direct's DL-05 controller is pretty versatile for communications; it will support K-Sequence, DirectNET, and Modbus RTU Slave.

RSLinx software from Rockwell Software supports none of those protocols; it's oriented toward Allen-Bradley networks.

Tom Jenkins is right on with the PC-DSDATA DDE server that will get data easily into Microsoft Excel via K-Sequence or DirectNet.

For Modbus RTU, there are several vendors, such as KEPware and Software Toolbox who sell Modbus DDE servers.

I recommend that you stick with Automation Direct's own products to keep your learning curve to a minimum and the technical support all in one place.

If you want to plug into the programming port and look at data you can get a copy of DirectSoft32 PC-PGM-105 $99 and a programming cable D2-DSCBL for $29. You can then connect to the PLC and view the data.

The next level is using DSData Server $295. This will allow you to use Excel or any other DDE or OLE compliant software to exchange data with the PLC.

The web site is www.automationdirect.com

Before you buy anything call the free and friendly tech support at AutomationDirect. The number is 770-886-3199. They will tell you everthing you need to know.

John