IS88: define process cell, unit and equipment modules

Sandor-CRX

Hello guys,
I'm working on a plant which will be automated with pcs7 from siemens.
I have some trouble to define the plantstructure according to IS88.

The plant is recycling bottlecaps under pyrolyse conditions.
There are a lot of processes at the plant:

1) supply of bottlecaps into a container and from there will be blowen into silo's.
2) bottlecaps will be transported from the silo's to a drum which has burners which heat the drum
3) after the drum, the bottlecaps that come out of the drum will be transported to another drum by air.
4) The bottlecaps which come out of the drum will be transported by vibration to a press.
5) bottlecaps will be pressed together
6) gastreatment is also available to purify the outgoing gasses from the drums
7) gasses will go to a analyzer
8)gasses will go to a chimney

I don't know excactly to design the proces according to ISA88.
My definition is as follows:

Process cell: The complete process from supply of bottlecaps to the press (begin to end), so all the units and equipment modules of the proces.
Unit: Individual processes, so the 1st drum is a unit, the second drum is a unit, gastreatment is a unit, and so on
Equipment module: the individual processes in a unit, for example the unit: Drum: rotate drum, burner management system, transportation of bottlecaps, supply of demiwater, suply of compressed air etc.
Control modules: valves, motors etc.

Is this correct?

Thank you,
Grtz Sandor

Thanks man,

I didnt get to choose the brand, but otherwise I chose AB. They have much better software and helpfiles..

But anyway, I'll take a look at it.
best regards,

Sandor

The short answer to "is this correct" is probably "yes if that is what you want."
But beware, there are many interpretations of S88 in particular around what a Unit is versus an Equipment module. And what a Batch is. Is this really a batch plant, where each unit can be processing a different batch which is then transfered down to the next unit, or is it continuous where the materials flow all the time?

And by the way, you may not actually need a batch manager. What are the batch tracking requirements?

For some reading material look at S88 Links look especially at Making Recipe Simpler
Francis
www.controldraw.co.uk