no communication to AB 1768 L43 compact logix

spoon

Hi I dont know if anybody out there can help.Itried to install firmware to ab 1768 L43 processor using serial port and rs linx df1 driver.all was going well but when the firmware was completed and the system rebooted i had lost communication.I now know that i have loaded an incorrect revision and wondered is there any way to reset or must i send back to AB as the manual suggests.

It is difficult to load an incorrect version of firmware to a CompactLogix, and also difficult to damage or "brick" the controller during firmware download.

The ControlFlash firmware utility generally won't permit you to download the wrong firmware (like for the wrong model of controller, or a version incompatible with your hardware).

The CompactLogix L4x series are likewise difficult to "brick"; the boot loader survives all but the most serious firmware download errors.

Remove the battery and the CompactFlash card and cycle power a few times. You should find that the controller becomes available for communications again.

Hi Ken thanks for your response but i dont have a compact flash card installed and the 1768 L43 doesnt have a battery.It comes with a warning label that version 16.23 is the minimum requirement but the label was already removed before i tried to program

It comes with a warning label that version 16.23 is the minimum requirement but the label was already removed before i tried to program

What version did you load? it will reboot twice, once after it clears the CPU then again after it reloads the new firmware (I think) did you loose coms after the first reboot? have you done a auto configure again and rebooted the CPU?

If you have a 1768-ENBT then flash using it, when you flash with a serial there are to many things to go wrong in that amount of time

Of course; I was thinking of the batteries in the -L32E and -L35E controllers.

The 1768-L43 and -L45 have a "supercapacitor" that keeps them running long enough to save the program to internal nonvolatile memory when you power down.

To default a 1768-L43/L45 controller, press and hold the "Default Comms" faceplate pushbutton underneath the keyswitch, then apply power to the controller.

What version did you load? it will reboot twice, once after it clears the CPU then again after it reloads the new firmware (I think) did you loose coms after the first reboot? have you done a auto configure again and rebooted the CPU?

If you have a 1768-ENBT then flash using it, when you flash with a serial there are to many things to go wrong in that amount of time
Hi yes i do have 1768 enbt which i configured using bootp, rs linx sees that its 1768 enbt but it has the dreaded yellow question mark and will not expand out.i have installed latest eds for this device

Of course; I was thinking of the batteries in the -L32E and -L35E controllers.

The 1768-L43 and -L45 have a "supercapacitor" that keeps them running long enough to save the program to internal nonvolatile memory when you power down.

To default a 1768-L43/L45 controller, press and hold the "Default Comms" faceplate pushbutton underneath the keyswitch, then apply power to the controller.
Hi Ken Thanks I will have to take a look at that today ,i am not familiar with these processors at all but i spoke to AB and they said i have to return it to get it fixed