Crimson 3.0 and I/O above 15

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I am working with a MicroLogix 1400 1766-L32AWA and a Red Lion G308.

The ML has 20 inputs and 12 outputs. I am trying to set a flag tag for inputs 16 thru 20. For inputs 0-15 I set the Crimson address to be I 000:000 Little Endian Bit 0-15. So for PLC address I:0/16-20 would I set it up as I 000:001, Little Endian Bit 0-3 in Crimson?

I don't have the PLC here to test it out and want to make sure I have my addressing correct when I get on site.

One more question that ties in with the first: I seen the terms single slot and double slot addressing used on the forum. Would an example of single slot addressing be I:0/16 and double slot addressing would be I:0.1/0? Am I on the right track with my thinking?

Thanks for the help.

Very close !

The Output file is Data Table 0, and the Input file is Data Table 1.

The twenty inputs of the MicroLogix 1400 are addressed in Crimson 3 as:

I 001:000 Little Endian Bit 0-15
I 001:001 Little Endian Bit 0-3

The terms "single slot" and "double slot" are specific to the old PLC-2/3/5 I/O system.

In RSLogix 500 software, Boolean data can be addressed in "word.bit" or "bit" methods.

You can select which of these addressing methods you want to see in RSLogix 500... I don't have the software handy right now but it's essentially an editor setting.

Ken,
Thanks for the info!!

Just want to make sure about the addressing. Something is not making sense with what I have done on my first project like this. The data table being 0 for outputs and 1 for inputs I understand but isn't the fact that we are using a I or a O in the beginning of the address taking care of that? The next 3 digits, isn't that for the slot address? Since all the Inputs are on the processor of the ML shouldn't that be 000?

I just want to make sure I have my head screwed on straight. I didn't do it that way on my last project with a ML1400 (just didn't use inputs over 12 on that one). It worked fine. Did I just get lucky??? Let me know as now I am a little worried :)

The SLC-500 controllers use a memory addressing method called "typed" data tables, where "typed" means that there's a letter that indicates the type of data that's in the table.

But the data tables are also numbered. There is only one Input table, and one Output table, and one Status table. But there can be multiple Binary, or Integer, or Floating-Point tables.

The Output data table is File 0
The Input data table is File 1
The Status data table is File 2
The default first Binary data table is File 3
The default first Timer data table is File 4
The default first Counter data table is File 5
The default first Control data table is File 6
The default first Integer data table is File 7
The default first Floating Point data table is File 8

When you are using Crimson, you provide the Type, the File Number, and the Element Number.

The Bit number isn't in the address you type in or browse to in Crimson, but you specify it by making the tag a Little Endian Bit Array and specifying one bit number.