Touch Screens

Rich1955

I have a question about having two touch screen doing the same thing for one machine. The problem, we had a machine made but they kind of made a mistake and put the discharge on the wrong side. The controls are on one side and the operator will be on the other. Is there a way of puttting touch screens in series.

Series probably isn't the right word, but the simple answer is it depends...

It depends on the type of PLC, the type of TS, and the method of communication. For example, I've got a ADC DL06 and two 6" EZ-TOUCH screens. One screen is connected to port1, one is connected to port2, both work, but like I said its all dependant on what you're using.

definitely depends on the kind of system you've got. with a siemens system you could just download the same prog into a new TP and hang it on the end of the same bus your original screen is on. worst case surely means blanking off the apreture (or whatever) and running a little cable to where you want the screen.

Wiring isn't the issue here. You can use a serial link with RS-485 or RS232 with 232/485 converters and mult-drp devices. And you can certainly wire multiple ehternet devices to your link.

The question is what kind of protocol and driver are you using. Many serial links, such as Modbus RTU or DF-1, are master slave protocols. Most touchscreens on this kind of network want to be the master, so you can't have two of them on the same link.

On the other hand, a peer to peer network like DH+ or Mosbus + or ethernet will work fine with multiple touchscreens.

Finally, companies like ProSoft have modules that will take several DF1 devices and several Modbus devices and link them.

So, what brand and model touchscreen and PLC are you dealing with? What protocol are you using?

Ethernet or Device Net would be the best bet. You can load the same application into both screens and give each one a different Ethernet or Dviece Net devuce number.

In the Siemens world, I have had as many as 6 TP27s connected via profibus, so you should be able to add another panel with no problem. Just keep in mind that if two operators could be playing "dueling touchscreens" (unintentionally, of course), you might have to put in some code to handle this (i.e., there may be a case where only one manual operation at a time can take place).

MMMMMM

Lets see, The Op panel is a 15" proface, the servo panel is a 6" proface, The CPU is Omron that you have to get from Japan only ( they are coming in next week to put the 2 halves together and I don't think they know of the problem yet). There is no Doc for the program because we don't speek Japinese. The original panel can't be moved. They asked me and I said have them put another OP panel on the other side with out thinking you know open mouth insert foot. Just wanted to give the Mechinical engineer some options when has to gives them the bad news. I think this is one I should try to stay away from. Let the bosses fight it out.

It will be even better if the OP is in Japanese. If the OP is proface to Omron it is probably a serial connection (host link protocol).

The first two machines we have are right hand and we had this third left hand sitting around a few years with out an unload section. We told them we wanted a mirror image of the right hand so what we get. We never looked at the programs before untill now and supprise. First we had to order the special software from Japan to even access the program. I'm glad this was not my project.

They were nice enough that the OP paneles are in english. The things you find out about a machine when you have a problem.