DC Drives

recycled_mind

Hello Guys:

Could anyone help me a recommended brand for a Variable DC Drives?
I've been searching on the internet and cannot see what i'm searching for.

I need a Variable Speed Motor Controller with a 220VDC input. As I search all DC drvies has a 100-240VAC input. What I need is a DC input Variable DC Controller for a single phase,1.5kW, 1200RPM DC motor. This motor is for Emergency Purposes that is why I need a Variable Speed Drive for this motor with a 220VDC input power.

Could anyone recommend me a leading brand?

regards,
recycled_mind

Cheapest and best way is to invert the DC back to AC and use STANDARD devices.

If you do find this bizare controler, the day it fails... replacement will not be a stock item... so get you power back to something standard.

You could possibly get a 200VAC 3-phase drive and apply the DC voltage to the DC bus, and run a 200V 3-phase AC motor. It would depend on the drive, but it is a possibility.

recycled_mind said:
Hello Guys:

I need a Variable Speed Motor Controller with a 220VDC input. As I search all DC drvies has a 100-240VAC input. What I need is a DC input Variable DC Controller for a single phase,1.5kW, 1200RPM DC motor. This motor is for Emergency Purposes that is why I need a Variable Speed Drive for this motor with a 220VDC input power.

Could anyone recommend me a leading brand?

regards, recycled_mind

Just as a double check this is a 220 VDC motor NOT single phase which implies AC.

IF it were mine and were just for emergency I would want
maximum reliability
simplicity
and possibly forget variable speed
just drive it right off your DC line using a step starter and fuses sized for maximum start current, put in overloads for maximum run current.

IF you still must have variable speed and it is shunt or compound put a reostat in series with shunt field.

Dan Bentler

This is a 220VDC DC motor, 1.5kW, 1200RPM.
Brushed type permanent magnet motor.
Actually this drive is not merely for emergency but this is used during normal power condition. This drive is used for accurate variable speed control for the anode furnace drive in a smelting plant. There is a standby 220VDC power supply in the plant which powers up this DC motor. Now the controller is defective and needs replacement.That is why I want a DC input (220V) Variable speed drive.

Actually, I like kittydog's idea best. The problem with a DC drive is that the SCR's depend on the AC input to commutate properly. With DC inputs, that's not available and the concept becomes non-functional.

With a 220VDC supply, you could use a 230V three phase input drive, connect the DC directly to two of the inputs and get 230VAC out. Now, change out the DC motor for an equivalent hp and speed 230VAC motor and the problem is solved with all standard components.

Why not!

Hrm... Tough one, I don't know what the input circuitry is, on this, but it may work or be modifyable for direct DC input. Check out the KB Electronics KBWS-25D type PWM DC Drive. It is possible that you might be able to entirely bypass the AC input side completely, but I'm not sure.

Other than that, maybe KB can give you a hand. I don't know too many manufacturers of PWM DC drives, which is what it seems your application calls for.

www.kbelectronics.com

Dick,

Wouldn't he need about 300 to 330 VDC to get 230VAC out?

DickDV said:
With a 220VDC supply, you could use a 230V three phase input drive, connect the DC directly to two of the inputs and get 230VAC out. Now, change out the DC motor for an equivalent hp and speed 230VAC motor and the problem is solved with all standard components.

Why not!

DickDV said:

Why not!

Have you try this powering up a 230VAC Variable Frequency drive with a DC power? and the output is a 3 Phase 230VAC?

rdrast said:
Hrm... Tough one, I don't know what the input circuitry is, on this, but it may work or be modifyable for direct DC input. Check out the KB Electronics KBWS-25D type PWM DC Drive. It is possible that you might be able to entirely bypass the AC input side completely, but I'm not sure.

Other than that, maybe KB can give you a hand. I don't know too many manufacturers of PWM DC drives, which is what it seems your application calls for.

www.kbelectronics.com

Actually I'm looking up to bypass the rectifier circuit and inject directly the 220VDC to the output side of the rectifier circuits but not sure if the DC drive will function correctly.

milldrone, you are correct. That's a big mistake on my part. Everyone please ignore my post above. I'm off by about 100V.

Must be one cup of coffee isn't doing it anymore!

You could try ssd

506,7&8, 512 and 514

Not sure as i dont use the smaller drives so check they can do your voltages

Local Contact:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Company: [/font][/font]CHP Eurolink Corporation
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contact:[/font][/font]Mr. Mat Laguerta
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Address:[/font][/font]
Unit 8, Sycamore Arcade
Alabang-Zapote Road, Alabang
Mutinlupa City, Metro Manila
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]E-mail:[/font][/font][email protected]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phone:[/font][/font]63 2 850 4560
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fax:[/font][/font]63 2 850 4560