GE Rx3I, Maple Systems HMI and BAS metasys integrator

fernandoguer

Hey guys, I am fairly new to industrial communications. I recently got into a project in which I have a new Rx3I with a CMM002 module that I am trying to communicate with a maple systems HMI5150XL and a metasys integrator (as-mig-201-0). I want to use the modbus protocol to communicate between them, however, I am a little confused since the physical ports in the CMM002 are RJ45's. Is it possible to just run an RJ45 to rs232 adapter in order to communicate with those two pieces of equipment? Making the PLC act as a gateway between them (since the hmi wont be connected to the metasys integrator. Thanks everyone! I am eager to learn and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are devices that use an RJ45 connector for serial port

Looking at specifications I see that HMI5150XL has ethernet port, then try to use Modbus TCP instead Modbus RTU, maybe then you do not even need the module CMM002

Last edited:
The CMM002 manual you want to look at is GFK-2461H. Page 8 shows the pinouts for 232, 485/422 two wire, and 485/422 four wire. Also note the CMM002 has internal jumpers for internal terminal resistors for RS485 if you go that route.

also as far as going from RJ45 to DB9, there are adapters you can buy where you pin out the DB9 side as you need depending on protocol:

https://www.cablewholesale.com/spec...MI4sP59eS52QIV1S-BCh1IEQqSEAQYBSABEgKQFvD_BwE

I've used something similar to the link before successfully. I've also just taken a preterminated Cat5 straight through cable, cut of one end, and landed my appropriate pins on a solder cup DB9 connector (male or female depending on my needs):

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...MIhpqx8OW52QIVTjaBCh1LzwDyEAQYAiABEgI2qfD_BwE

There are devices that use an RJ45 connector for serial port

Looking at specifications I see that HMI5150XL has ethernet port, then try to use Modbus TCP instead Modbus RTU, maybe then you do not even need the module CMM002

Also from GFK-2461H page 8, "for Modbus applications, note that these pin assignments are different from the standard Modbus pin assignments. If the port is configured for Modbus master or slave operation, custom cables are needed".

So, even if your other devices are serial capable at an RJ45 port your pin assignments may be different from the CMM002.