Powerflex 525 Deceleration Rates

SpecialK87

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to use the 3rd and 4th Decel rates on my PF525 via ethernet. I do not see the tags as I do with rates 1 & 2. Could someone please explain?

Untitled picture.png

Correct I can not use it. The error is "Invalid data type. Argument must match parameter data type."

After downloading my project, if you notice picture I uploaded, my data type has changed to AB:powerFlex525V_E_FCF91FD2:O:0.

Right. So My data type has changed when I reconfigured the VFD and that's why I can't use the tag, I understand that.

But why did my data type change? And how do I correct that?

To expand on Jeff's post above...

When you add a Powerflex drive to your ethernet tree, it creates a tag structure. That tag structure must, of course, have a data type, the same as any other tag or UDT.

Let's say you had a UDT called "MyUDT" with three elements, a BOOL called BoolTag, a DINT called DintTag and a REAL called RealTag. If you create a new tag of type MyUDT, the software knows that it needs to create structure with a BOOL, a DINT and a REAL, named as I just described.

Likewise, if you add a VSD to the ethernet tree, the software knows that it needs to create a tag structure...but with which tags? You see, that depends entirely on which datalinks you decide to use. There are a huge number of possible combinations, and every single possible combination will result in a different tag structure, meaning each combination must by necessity have a different data type. The data type will always start with "AB:powerFlex525", and then what follows is a largely meaningless (to the end user), but unique code of sorts which defines which tags to place in the tag structure.

Why does this matter to you? Well, in many cases, it wouldn't. You don't care what randomesque name the software has assigned to your specific data type; you just want to use the tags. But, let's say you're passing that tag structure directly into an Add-On Instruction, or using it as part of a UDT. Now you have a problem. That AOI or UDT needs to know *exactly* what tag structure is coming in, and you need to give it *exactly* that tag structure. If you try to pass it a different tag structure - one with, say, an additional acceleration datalink - it will give you exactly the error you're describing. Basically, the AOI/UDT is saying "I require data in exactly this structure, and you are giving me data that does not match this structure". If I had to guess, I'd say that's exactly what's going on here. It *is* just a guess of course - if that's not the case then please just ignore everything that follows, and instead post back with some more information about where the fault points you to specifically, or else zip and post the program so we can have a look.

Still here? Righto. So, how to fix it? Well, that may or may not be straightforward. The whole point of an AOI is that it's re-usable. If you have this AOI talking to 10 drives, and you've only updated the datalinks in one of them, you can't just update the AOI to accept the new tag structure, because the other nine AOI's will then give you the exact same fault. If that's your situation, your only real option is to split out the AOI for that particular motor into a new AOI. I've had to do that before - I had a panel where 6 VSD's used my standard AOI with standard datalinks, but on the 7th, I needed to read back an encoder signal. So I had two AOI's: one called PF525, and another called PF525_ENC.

If you only have the one AOI in this situation, you can just update that AOI. In the AOI setup window, where you define all the parameters, you'll see that each Input, Output and InOut parameter has a datatype defined. All you need to do is change the datatype of the VSD tag data that's being passed in or out from whatever it is now, to AB:powerFlex525V_E_FCF91FD2:O:0.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It definitely clarified some things for me.

So, my tag is using a Module defined data type. Would it be better to use an AOI? If so, could you give me some guidance as to how to do that. I've never really used AOIs before.

You don't need to change how you're doing things, all you need to do is find that tag that's of the old data type and needs to be changed to the new data type. If you can post the program or at least some screenshots of the error messages and tags that this relates to, we can probably give some more specific help.

Another question would be why are you trying to control three different decel rates via the PLC anyway? Could you not just use accel/decel 1, and have the PLC load a different accel/decel time into it as necessary?

Another question would be why are you trying to control three different decel rates via the PLC anyway? Could you not just use accel/decel 1, and have the PLC load a different accel/decel time into it as necessary?

How would I do that? I believe the accel/decl are BOOL data types. How can I manipulate the acceleration and deceleration via PLC?