I Beg To Differ

SLaubach

If a switch (I:1/00) on a remote panel goes directly to the input card (point I:1/00) via a terminal block or two it should still be called the same name on both ends. When i cost a couple thousand dollars per hour for downtime i have no time to **** around with the as builts! maybe as an oem or contractor it doesnt really matter becouse they already sold the machine and are not worried about making $$$$ for the company, but i am. Thats like being born Tom Jenkins and years later putting your name in the phonebook as Gary Ganew! Now your old class buddies have to search high and low for your digits.

I agree

So far, I tend to agree with your statement. Unfortunately, the former way of labeling wires (which I believe may be called "destination wiring" seems to be used more often. It makes it easier for panel building since anybody can wire the panel via the "insert wire A into slot B" method of wiring. At least, that is why I think they do it that way. But in reality, the destination wiring seems to cause more trouble than it is worth, not only in troubleshooting, but also in electrical drawings.