Speed reference for drives.

Another thing, I know that in every system that I work with, when the PLC controls a motor speed, it isn't just sending a fixed value. It adjusts based on the process. Even if the output is "Fixed" like a master ramp reference, typically other things need to know about it.

If you're familiar enough with how your machine operates and its not too complex, I'd rip that whole system apart and rebuild it with off the shelf components. Micrologix 1000's etc..
You have to pay close attention to the safety systems and ensure they're integrated correctly. If it's too much to take on you could go with a consultant.
Drives have many different control structures. If its run off a green board it'll be analog or digital. You need to look at the board and determine what other signals its receiving, why and how they're being used.
At the minimum there will be a OK TO RUN signal and a start signal.
You'd have to be a lot more specific with what your system is doing and what it consists of to get a better answer.

Must be a low budget company they went through. At my last position we had a Vapor recovery unit with a proprietary control board that interfaced with an electrician trying to fix a problem by throwing 110Vac into a 24vDC connection. They wanted 40K for a new board.

If you're familiar enough with how your machine operates and its not too complex, I'd rip that whole system apart and rebuild it with off the shelf components. Micrologix 1000's etc..
You have to pay close attention to the safety systems and ensure they're integrated correctly. If it's too much to take on you could go with a consultant.
Drives have many different control structures. If its run off a green board it'll be analog or digital. You need to look at the board and determine what other signals its receiving, why and how they're being used.
At the minimum there will be a OK TO RUN signal and a start signal.
You'd have to be a lot more specific with what your system is doing and what it consists of to get a better answer.

we doing that with another machine that has a old GE plc 5 it's a been a real pain in the butt. it's got like 20 modules controlled from the plc. sure would make it eaiser if they would give you the documented program when you buy a machine.

Must be a low budget company they went through. At my last position we had a Vapor recovery unit with a proprietary control board that interfaced with an electrician trying to fix a problem by throwing 110Vac into a 24vDC connection. They wanted 40K for a new board.

Wow that's crazy!