MicroLogix or Twido

iknowsomeplc

We have to decide between telemecanique Twido PLC and Allen bradley MicroLogix for a new machine. I/O and communication requirements are good enough for both models. Anybody has any comparison between this two in terms of features/performance/price ?

I have just been doing the same thing in my company.

I checked with tech support on the twido, and they tell me you can not Remotely link up to these PLC's. This is no good for me as I will be linking about 15 of these together, and eventual I want to be able to accese them over a modem conection. In a few months they will be coming out with am eathernet Twedo, which should solve that problem. I also find that the programming software on the twido is horable (In my opinion). The Twido can comunicate with any thing that uses modbus, so you can use HMI's, Pacific Seintific stepper drives, Emerson Servo Drives, ect.

The Micrologix 1500, has way more functionality and I like the software (but then again I am used to working in RSlogix 500). With the Micrologix I can go to modbus. devicenet, eathernet, DH+, and other AB protocols. The cost is about the same as far as I can see, with the exeption of the software (AB likes to rape you there). What I am not sure with the 1500 is if you are limited in some the programming, ie can you do trig functions, PID loops and the other more advanced functions.

I think there are two areas to look at for PLC selection - technical and business. Looks like you have covered the technical side and both processors are pretty comparable. You covered part of the business side and mentioned both processors are about the same price. There are two other business decisions I would suggest, time to configure and program reuse. Even though both processors may be comparably priced, if one is cumbersome to use the extra time to program it will quickly make it very expensive. If you work for a machine manufacturer that intends to use this program more than once, program reuse is important. Allen Bradley has a very large US market share; therefore, most of the end users would accept AB in their systems. The chances of program reuse are higher if we choose AB for our standard system. Also if you are supplying a PLC to a client or using it in a facility that has all Siemens, Modicon, etc. it's usually best for the end user to keep it the same. That cuts down on their long-term maintenance costs.
Hope this helps.