Controlling Proportional Valves with SLC

Larry_Tierney

L
Hey folks, would I be able to control a Vickers proportional valve with a SLC module such as the 1746-NO4V?

Hi Larry,

I welcome you to regiester on the forum if you can. Also, you might want to provide a little more information for someone to be able to help you.

For instance, what voltage (or current) levels is the valve expecting for control? What voltage levels can the output card supply (not everyone here can be knowledgeable about every piece of hardware on the market).

Most importantly, what type of motion are you expecting to generate with the proportional valve?

Welcome aboard and help us to help you.

cheers

Larry,

You can control almost any proportional valve with the Allen-Bradley 1746-NO4V (4-output +- 10 Vdc) OR with the 1746-NO4I (4-output 0-20 miliamp), OR with the 1746-NIO4V Combination module, 2 analog inputs, 2 analog current outputs. Many proportional valves can be switched to accept either 0-10 vdc or 4-20 mA signals. Also, in most cases, you can add a resistor in parallel to a current output to produce a voltage input.

I use this card (1746-NO4V) to send a command signal to three different models of proportional cards. I scale the output signal appropriately for the prop card's command input signal (0-10, +/-10, or +/-5 volt depending on the card). The card then drives the prop valve. I'm not using the Vicker's brand though, but it should work the same. Refer to the Analog I/O User Manual for wiring it correctly.

Remember that you will also have to supply the valve with 24V for power. Also realize that you will only have rudimentary control, this is fine for something like fast/slow but if you are looking for precise velocity or position control you will need to look at a closed loop motion controller.