TCP/IP & EtherNet/IP device question

vinayakid

Hi,
I am having one device by "Oriental Digital". The device is C2000 Plus S232/1 TW. This converts TCP/IP to RS232.
I want to connect this device to a Rockwell PLC/1756-ENBT module. I have to send the message to this device. But since Rockwell uses EtherNet/IP, I am not sure how to do this.I tried using "CIP Generic" Message type but no success :(

Please note that there is a managed switch between Rockwell ENBT card and C2000 converter.

If anybody came across such situation before, please let me know how to proceed.

Your "Oriental Digital" device sounds like a conventional general-purpose TCP/IP to RS-232 converter. These devices support "COM Port Redirector" software from their vendors, but seldom support industrial network protocols like EtherNet/IP or Modbus/TCP.

I do not think you will be able to get a 1756-ENBT to send data to this device.

Your alternatives are the 1756-EWEB module (more expensive and more complex) or an Ethernet -> RS232 converter that does support EtherNet/IP, like the Digi One IAP or the HMS Anybus Communicator.

What sort of serial device is connected to the Oriental Digital device ?

Hi Ken,
There is an Andon Board connected to this Device.
The PLC(L62) need to send messages to Andon board visa this converter over EtherNet.

I tried using messages but no luck so far.
I observed one point in 1756-ENBT, is that it opens a TCP connection. I could see it if I view the ENBT in internet explorer. But the messages goes into error with discription as "Connection failure"....

I looked at the site and Ken is right, it's a generic TCP RS232 converter.

forget about the C2000, what commuication option is availble for the Andon board? Do you have a link to the manual for it?

NO :( I do not have any details further. The converter is basically connected to a PCB that drives the lights/scorlling mesage on the Andon board ...

The ENBT has 64 "TCP connections". Can't that be used for sendong the message from the 1756-ENBT/A to the TCP/TP to RS232 converter?
As I understand, EtherNet/IP is the TCP encapsulation of CIP. So I am guessing that if the supplier of the "Orient Digital" converter can give the details of the message instruction (like Service code, instance, class, attribute & message structure), it can be done. Please let me know if it's correct...Help me understand more on the Ethernet/IP and TCP/IP communications!

Just to add some more info on the Oriental Digital TCP/IP to RS232 module is that I can send data to the module using Hyper terminal. It accepts the ASCII data (max 16 Characters) only.

Last edited: