AWG wire sizes in the European Union

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has there been any recent changes regarding the use of AWG wire sizes in panels exported to the EU? Its been about 10 years since I sent a panel to the EU and I was wondering if anything had changed in that regard. In the past we've used AWG wire and rated it accordingly to the nearest smaller IEC wire size, eg, a #18 wire (.82mm2) rated as a .75mm2 wire, #12 wire (3.31mm2) rated as a 2.5mm2 wire, etc. Is that still acceptable or have they tightened down and required mm sized wiring?

Last edited:
Thanks. What I was meaning was if there had been a change that required us to use strictly metric sizes instead of appropriately rated AWG sizes.

Not that I've heard of. Last year I was on a project on an oilrig here in scandinavia that had alot of old chinese cables in all sorts of odd sizes and that was apparently ok.