Old Modicon PLC Fault

russrmartin

Need some quick assistance out there. Right at this moment we have an old Modicon PLC. There is a remote I/O rack that is powered by a P810 power supply. There is an overload light on the power supply that is lit and the main processor shows a comm error. Does anyone know what this overload error means. We are going to try swapping out the power supply right now, but I am wondering is there something else we should try or do?

Russ

That was it

Well, the power supply was indeed the problem. I do have another question though. After reading the manual for the new power supply, I get the idea that if the power supply is not cause cause of the problem, that one of the I/O racks must have a short of some sorts. Is there any logical way to isolate that card other than to pull them all one at a time?

No, unless there are other symptoms. You will have to pull cards and disconnect racks until the problem is located (or remove everything and reinstall them one at a time).

Do you have multiple racks on the supply? Maybe one of the interconnect cables is bad?

The ploblem is a fail in the power supply, there are two capacitors together that have a shortcircuit you need to replace the values are 220uf 30v are locate next to sink transistors. good luck.